Cat Code...time to get headers?

FartCanMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just got my 96 HB inspected and there's a cat code. If I need a new cat I'll need to replace the manifold because it's one piece...so if I want to get headers how does this work?

I currently have the stock manifold and cat attached to a Magnaflow 2.25" catback exhaust system. If I go with headers...where will I put the new cat?

What recommendations for the header and cat?

Thx
ps. It's a y7

crick_james

5+ Year Member
i just had the same code come on with my y7, so i order a header and will be using this which will then allow me to get rid of the cat and it should delete the code. someone correct me if i am wrong but you can do that.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OP, you basically need to convert to an EX style exhaust with the cat. below the car. You would need:

- EX header (or an aftermarket performance one)
- EX cat (or possibly a magnaflow high flow cat may work for you)
- o2 extension wires. I believe you need a 16'' and a 30''. They can be found on Passwordjdm.com or possibly ebay.

Crickjames, I am not 100% about emissions in Missouri, but I am pretty sure you will get a secondary o2 CEL if you delete the cat entirely which will not allow you to pass emissions (at least up in here PA you wouldn't). If you convert to the ex style exhaust, you still have a cat (just relocated), and you still have an o2 sensor before and after the cat.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ yep

crick_james

5+ Year Member
here in missouri i drive to the tire shop, he checks my horn, blinkers, brakes, and tires. so emissions is no problem. what i did was i bought a header off ebay and im gonna go to the exhaust shop and tell them to make it all work.

RonJ

Banned
OP:
There are two causes for a cat CEL code (P0420): (1) The cat is bad or (2) There is an exhaust leak. Just make sure you rule out the latter before spending a bunch of money on the former.

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not to thread jack. but Mr. RonJ, i also have a 98 accord besides the civic. the accord is throwing the p0420 code, what do i need to get rid of it?

RonJ

Banned
Not to thread jack. but Mr. RonJ, i also have a 98 accord besides the civic. the accord is throwing the p0420 code, what do i need to get rid of it?
If you can't find an exhaust leak, then replacing the cat is the most likely the solution.

FartCanMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok cool thank you for the tips.

I've been doing some research and for the header, I'm having some trouble coming to a conclusion on which one to get. I don't have the cash to buy a sweet one like the Bisimoto, which does look like a really good header, but I don't think that the power difference created by each one is worth hundreds of dollars...therefore I might just get a pacesetter. I've read DC Sports is averaging a 6-7 whp on a stock dseries but don't you think that a pacesetter is most likely getting about the same? They seem extremely similar (4-2-1).

I'll probably go with a direct fit high flow magnaflow cat. I'm not sure what size to get tho...My catback is 2.25" and I obviously don't know what size my header will be seeing how I didnt purcahse it yet. So I'm guessing I should just get a 2.25" inlet and outlet cat?

Thanks for any input. This topic seems to be extremely disputed and leaning towards just personal preference. I just want the best bang for the buck (like most people).

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you checked the o2 sensor before you spend all this money? lol If its the secondary sensor you could try using a defouler. All the secondary o2 sensor has to do is get a different reading than the first o2. The defouler blocks it so trick the ecu and keep the cel off.

If it is the cat, pick up a dc header or something cheap and an ebay cat. If the catback is 2 1/4 I would get the same thing for the cat. Make sure they both have o2 sensor holes. If not just drill a hole and weld an o2 nut on there.

FartCanMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The cheap ebay cats will probably have to be welded on. I want everything bolt on. That's why I was thinking magnaflow because they have the direct fit series that are completely bolt on.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The cheap ebay cats will probably have to be welded on. I want everything bolt on. That's why I was thinking magnaflow because they have the direct fit series that are completely bolt on.
so have a $5 flange welded on

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man I have a OBX R Header for the 1996-2000 Civic, it has both O2 Sensor bungs on it. And is pretty much new as I only used it for about a yr and the car sits all but the few summer months. It has about 1000 miles on it at most. Anyways, it is silver and works well. Hit me up, email me at uccracing@comcast.net if your interested we can work out a price.

FartCanMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i'm thinkin pacesetter header and it comes with the sensor extensions. which magnaflow cat to get?....direct fit or universal? I know the universal will have to be welded...which im tryin to avoid but will the direct fit fit with a header?

brent_si™

Ballers roll 20+ psi
5+ Year Member
Stock cat. Aftermarket cats are junk. I had a magnaflow and it melted down in 8 months.