Catalytic converter 3-Bolt outlet bolt size?

Alpha.kx

5+ Year Member
Was just about to install my new Megan high-flow cat until I saw how ridiculously rusted the bolts on the 3-bolt outlet side were (where the cat connects to the mid-pipe). These need to be replaced, google isn't helping. Anyone know what size these bolts are?

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Just cut them, and use some new bolts of equal grade and strength with suitable washers.

Don't you have a socket/wrench set, those can tell you what size the bolt/nut is....:shock:

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just cut them, and use some new bolts of equal grade and strength with suitable washers.

Don't you have a socket/wrench set, those can tell you what size the bolt/nut is....:shock:
the bolts are suppossed to be 14mm but with so much rust they end up being like 15.2845 mm give or take lol. but really they do have to be torched off. good luck with that....i had to do mine too

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
try pb nut buster and a small breaker bar. if worst comes to worst. cut them off and get new bolts from an auto store

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
try pb nut buster and a small breaker bar. if worst comes to worst. cut them off and get new bolts from an auto store
trust me i tried everything to avoid running it out to the shop with hakf an exhaust hanging off it

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It doesn't matter what bolts you use. Just go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up new bolts and nuts that are close to the same size as the OEM ones. OR, you could go to Honda and pick up the OEM bolt + spring + nut. I think it's like $10-$15 or something ridiculous just for hardware. But then again, it is OEM and at least you know it'll work perfectly.

Alpha.kx

5+ Year Member
the bolts are suppossed to be 14mm but with so much rust they end up being like 15.2845 mm give or take lol. but really they do have to be torched off. good luck with that....i had to do mine too
Word, mine look like rustknobs - so bad sockets wouldn't fit right!

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well if you gotta have to take off the bolts no matter what so use the bolts strip to strip it and get new ones.
today i put on my cat but my sensor was hanging upside down towards the ground and i end up putting back my stock cat. what a day for me.

khooper

5+ Year Member
Having rusty bolts in the catalytic converter is so hassle. The most common solution is using penetrating oil bought from local hardware store. All you need to do in this situation is to pore a few drops of penetration oil on the screw, keep things as it is for a few moments and than use screwdriver to open it. If necessary you may even need to use a narrow chisel and a hammer to move the rusted screw inside. If the condition is too poor, you may even need to leave those screws in penetration oil overnight - it should loosen up by the morning. Though this is a heavily used process to remove rust, it is not very effective.