Catalytic converter gone bad

2kCivex

5+ Year Member
Own a '00 EX w/ about 4k invested and 75k miles, was curious if any other civic owners had to change their catalytic converter and timing belt around this point in the civic's life. The cat sounds hooorrrible def falling apart on the inside.... i guess its time for a full exhaust kit ;)

Any other basic tune up tips for the car and engine?

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not uncommon for a cat to go bad after that many miles, it can happen to about anything, just basic maintenace is all you need to do, timing belt i thought was around 100k though

jdmek9r

mRek9R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hm....you sure it's not the heat shield? 8)

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea check your heat shield first it might be loose. If that is not the case then remove the cat and inspect it....its not that hard to take off. I broke my cat scrapping it on speed bumps, i removed it and you could hear the broken honeycomb stuff inside you might have the same problem. If this is the case your probably throwing a cel too.

tweeker-steve00

Ding-Ding
5+ Year Member
yeah it might be the heat shield like everyone else is saying b/c i have the same prob. i too am at about 75k miles and there is a rattling when i am in idle and so i am going to put the welder up to it and it will be fixed

2kCivex

5+ Year Member
The cat is rattling like craaaazzy.... it started not so bad, a little rattle around 2500rpm, now it does it almost all the time. I put it on a lift about a week ago, tapped on the converter and u could hear the rattle just hitting it, def thinking the honey comb is shot inside. The bolts holding it on are so rusted im thinking im gonna have to torch it off. hmmm....

jdmek9r

mRek9R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2kCivex said:
The cat is rattling like craaaazzy.... it started not so bad, a little rattle around 2500rpm, now it does it almost all the time. I put it on a lift about a week ago, tapped on the converter and u could hear the rattle just hitting it, def thinking the honey comb is shot inside. The bolts holding it on are so rusted im thinking im gonna have to torch it off. hmmm....
I guess it's time for new cat then. Torch those suckers off. Hm...but my question is how could a cat go bad under 80k? What modifications do you have on your Civic?

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jdmek9r said:
I guess it's time for new cat then. Torch those suckers off. Hm...but my question is how could a cat go bad under 80k? What modifications do you have on your Civic?
could go bad w/ just the elements, hard bumps, dif types of gas, too many options out there to tell