catalytic question

1slowdseries

5+ Year Member
i am looking for a cat for my 2000 ex! mine is bad and i am wondering if a hi-flow cat will get rid of the CE light! if you have a high flow cat or anything that got rid of the CE light would be a great help!

Beej

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That probably depends on why you're getting the CEL. If you're getting it because your cat is bad, I would think replacing the cat with one that isn't bad should do the trick.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
try a local junkyard... usually cat. converters go for around 100...

1slowdseries

5+ Year Member
yeah the CE light is because its plugged, i just took it and knocked all the s**t out of it! so i need alother one! the jusnk yards here wont sell them for some reason! and a new one from honda is 1000 bucks! yeah... you read right lol! thats why im looking for alternatives! just looking to see what other people are using!

xtnod

5+ Year Member
A high-flow cat will not get rid of your CEL... it'll give you the CEL lol. You best shot is probably to look for a OEM online, craigslist, ebay.

Anyways instead of banging it... you could've just cleaned it lol.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Doesn't the defouler eliminate the CEL? Never had one but have heard Petey and others talk about it.

jdm jim

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
federal law wont let them sell used converters. u can get a direct fit converter from a parts store or a universal obdii converter for a lot less that will work. i never heard of cleaning one, all the ones ive seen go bad melted.

SoundZman

5+ Year Member
OK, took about 3 minuets to find....

http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-70_86/product-916/index.html

What you do is pick one of these up for like $90 buck and take it down to a muffler shop and have them weld up some mounts and replace it. Should be less then $250 for everything. Now you got a new cat + high flow + EPA compliant...should be set.

OR

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,85743/initialAction,partTypeResultSet/initialN,16100071/initialNtt,/initialNo,/shopping/selectZip.htm

You can pickup one from AutoZone or your fav. auto parts place and do the same. Still about the same price...NOT $1K

1slowdseries

5+ Year Member
thanks for all the input guys! i have found a few on ebay and some look really good for 200 then a few that look like somones grandma made them lol! i just hate that stupid CE light! just dont wanna buy a aftermarket cat, and have it installled, and it still do the same thing! are all the after market ones pretty much they same for an odd2 car?

EM1_Chris

5+ Year Member
^^^I've got the same problem man. Are you getting the P0420 code?
Had that code. Got a new direct replacement cat converter from autopartswarehouse.com...I went with the DEC brand converter along with a new secondary o2 and the code has never come back since.

1slowdseries

5+ Year Member
yes that code and a catylst deffeciancy code and some others! it goes back and forth between bank 1 and 2!

BMac00EX

5+ Year Member
hmmm.... im getting that code with a OBX high flow??? i thought maybe my o2 s**t the bed???

99sivic

boosted 2-tone civic si
5+ Year Member
my friend took his cat off and put 2 of the same o2 sensors and he doesnt have a CE

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
use a cel eliminator. idk if it works but you can use a test pipe and plus the eliminator in and it raises the 02 sensor off of the mainstream of exhaust gas so it only picks up a little. sounds like it would work. it looks kinda like a L shape tube.

1slowdseries

5+ Year Member
i have thought about it! just getting a few solutions that people have used and worked so i can figure out waht i wanna do! if the obx one still has a light then thats out!! i can get a elimanator from slowmo for about 20 bucks!