Catback problem

JohnnySasakiMGS

5+ Year Member
My brothers wife has a 99 Civic LX 4 door. The exhaust rotted off for the fourth time and my brother asked me if there was an oem stainless exhaust he could get. Sadly nobody makes such a thing. I told him that for $100 you can get a crappy fart can catback. He bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330385885451&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT
He just got it today and said it looks like its a foot too short. Is there a difference in length between the coupe and sedan? I'll post pics shortly.

Thanks guys!

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a foot? Damn, I bought an ebay one too for $85/shipped but then $95 to make it fit..... so that's my experience buyin ebay catback.... and it seems you'll just have to do the same, take it to a muffler shop and have'em fix it!

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you're probably missing the cat (or get a test pipe and have it even louder, lol)

AllTracCelica

300whp / 230torque
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Coupe and sedan the cat backs are different lengths cause when i ordered my Apexi N1 they sent coupe and it was to short so they corrected and sent sedan one.

JohnnySasakiMGS

5+ Year Member
Dammit! Well, I'm heading over there tomorrow to help him out. It says 2dr/4dr in the listing. Now I feel like a d**k for suggesting he get an eBay exhaust. And thats a big negatory on the test pipe lol. She has a 4 and 1 year old in the car.

Crutch

5+ Year Member
They only make catback systems for the honda ex. and the 2/4 door are the same. I have a 98 lx sedan and got one for it. The reason for it being to short is because the ex has a cat converter in that location. You can get a magnaflow cat for a 99 ex or a test pipe. If you go with a test pipe you may through a cel up because of the o2 sensor. Also, on that car I think the exhaust manifold has a cat built into it which is different from the ex's. Not sure if that will be a problem or not. The way I did my 98 lx is changed to a ex header, ex cat, ex catback system and it's just right. I also had to get a o2 sensor extension wire so that it would reach the lower cat converter. And just a note, when I ordered my catback system they told me that it would fit 2 or 4 door. Hope this helps.

jordan00711

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
s**t...totally forgot about that

magnaflow makes a header/cat combo if you check out procivic.com

and as far as cels with the test pipe just use a defouler and you should be good

JohnnySasakiMGS

5+ Year Member
They only make catback systems for the honda ex. and the 2/4 door are the same. I have a 98 lx sedan and got one for it. The reason for it being to short is because the ex has a cat converter in that location. You can get a magnaflow cat for a 99 ex or a test pipe. If you go with a test pipe you may through a cel up because of the o2 sensor. Also, on that car I think the exhaust manifold has a cat built into it which is different from the ex's. Not sure if that will be a problem or not. The way I did my 98 lx is changed to a ex header, ex cat, ex catback system and it's just right. I also had to get a o2 sensor extension wire so that it would reach the lower cat converter. And just a note, when I ordered my catback system they told me that it would fit 2 or 4 door. Hope this helps.
Oh wow. Thanks!

Crutch

5+ Year Member
Yea, everywhere I looked for that oem style manicat combo piece the price was $350 to $500. For that price I just went with a good header.