cf doors

td-civ

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im looking for cf doors for my build up im having a hard time finding cf doors can you guys help me out

Inigo Montoya

powered by boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not many people make them due to the complexity and the safety issues....

a wreck would be 10x more fatal... even at low speeds.

td-civ

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know that thats why i am putting in a full 12 point cage in my car i have seen half cf and half glass ones and i want full cf doors stronger

Inigo Montoya

powered by boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
td-civ said:
i know that thats why i am putting in a full 12 point cage in my car i have seen half cf and half glass ones and i want full cf doors stronger
..... no.

cf & fiber have the same strength until you get into the range of 7+ layers... which would cost ~3gs a set.

Composites shatter, whereas metal bends.

Crave

5+ Year Member
cf & fiber have the same strength until you get into the range of 7+ layers
Do you mean cf (carbon fiber) and fiberglass are the same strength? If so, that's simply not true. They are pretty much the same weight, only less carbon is required to get the same strength as fiberglass.

As far as doors go, I would think that you really don't need any strength in them (as far as structural support goes). Do you wan the cf doors to reduce your weight, or for the look?

td-civ - I see that you're in Brantford, I live in St. George. I'd love to come check out your ride and/or give you a hand working on it. I'm setting up my 92 Civic for autocross next year.

td-civ

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^^^that cool man but i dont need help i have one of my best friend helping me out but if you want send me your msn and ill put you on

no i want full carbon fiber doors not carbon one the out side and fiber glass in the inside

Inigo Montoya

powered by boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah what would i know considering ive only been playin around with it for the past two years and have a cousin who has 6 years of commercial boat building experience :roll:

its a misconception.. yes it is stronger, but 1-3 layers is going to be negligible... same as glass

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only place I've seen those deadly things are on Ebay. I hope you're builing this car for the track or shows only because a cage will not save you in a side impact w/ paper doors. You would just have a roll cage bar where your ribs now reside.

deaconwagers

...now rockin an integra
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the money invested into unsafe cf doors could be put to much better use.

OVNi_CIVIC

Revise
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
89slohatch said:
the money invested into unsafe cf doors could be put to much better use.
^^^^ nice 86/87 civic avytar

on subject.....why do you want them?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cf doors are fugly, i could see why you'd want them for a drag only car though

mint

Club Civic Sanny!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the only cf that looks good is bonnet, lips and spoiler.. anything else is not only pointless but bloody awful! And CF Doors would suck on so many levels..

Crave

5+ Year Member
yeah what would i know considering ive only been playin around with it for the past two years and have a cousin who has 6 years of commercial boat building experience

its a misconception.. yes it is stronger, but 1-3 layers is going to be negligible... same as glass
So down from 7+ layers to 1-3... I agree that any very thin layup won't be strong, regardless if it's carbon, kevlar, or glass. But the fact remains that carbon is stronger. You also have to consider that there are different grades and weaves of carbon (with different thicknesses), each with their own strengths and weaknesses (rigidity, torsional strength, impact resistance, etc).

The company I work for specializes in the design and build of aerospace components using advanced composite materials. I doubt that the carbon you have been "playing around with", or that which is used in boat manufacturing (which is mostly glass from what i understand) is anywhere near the grade of carbon that we use.

Anyways, like everybody says, you don't want carbon doors. Carbon shatters and splinters like glass in your house. You would probably be ok though if you used lots and lots of layers, but then you're talking megabucks. Aluminum would be better.

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Crave said:
The company I work for specializes in the design and build of aerospace components using advanced composite materials. I doubt that the carbon you have been "playing around with", or that which is used in boat manufacturing (which is mostly glass from what i understand) is anywhere near the grade of carbon that we use.
Whatever the Canadian space program uses is not what is being used on CF doors for the space aged cars members here drive so does any of that really matter except in the penis measuring contest going on here? :wtf:

td-civ

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok ppl why not stop fighting im not looking for cheap cf doors im looking for good high end cf doors im sill going to be running pw , pl and pm

there is no diff from a vett just my setup is cf

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just think about it.. i wanted them so bad i had them on order ( 6 week wait ) then i thought about it my cars and everyday driver and people just dont know how to drive.. just last night a girl almost ran into me twice and then said it was my fault.. BTW thats why u hear alot of people say it dont have to be your fault..