chalkboard headliner

Jaybo

5+ Year Member
so, i pulled my headliner out today, and while it's out i was doing some brainstorming. i had an idea to fiberglass the carboard backing and then paint it with chalkboard paint.
what you all think?

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i say go for it

civic99coupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wait...its gona be a chalkboard? What is this...Pimp My Ride for a teacher? I'd suggest dying your headliner black instead. Less work, nicer look.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your car is going to be dusty as f**k if you let your friends write on it

Jaybo

5+ Year Member
What is this...Pimp My Ride for a teacher?
LOL na, i do have a 5 and a 6 year old though. they'd be stoked if they could draw on the roof on long trips.

it would be flat black in color, and fiberglassed. so i could wipe it clean, and it would still look okay. if i don't like it, i could lay fabric over top of it. i already have dark gray/charcoal fabric that was originally planned for it, but the chalkboard idea just sounded kinda cool. if i fiberglass it, another option is to have it painted to match the outside of the car, or any color really. there's a few idea's i'm kicking around. i even considered vinyl, to match the dashboard. i've been doing a few JDM styling's here and there, and the vinyl would be along the lines of that.

civic99coupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^
lol haha go for it then. you seem to really wanna do it. just make sure you post pics.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not very practicla for driving. its going to get dusty.. but the kids would love it..... for about a day or two. then they would get bored... do it!

Jaybo

5+ Year Member
well, i decided not to do it. didn't feel like doing that much fiberglassing, and i was worried about the chalk dust causing problems. i ended up covering it with dark charcoal fabric. now i'm thinking about dying (not spray painting) interior pieces black, but want to test it for durability first. we'll see.
thanks for the input everyone!

JDMchula

c0up3 stAY Fr3SH
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it would be cool but like everyone said but that chalk dust would get every were cool idea anyways =)

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wouldn't do it but whatever floats your boat. I'm assuming you have a hatch?

Jaybo

5+ Year Member
Beyond me why you would want to do that anyways, especially with kids playing with chalk.
just something different, that's all. not doing it for practical reasons. after i thought about it, the idea of the kids with chalk in the back seat just started to scare me, because i'm sure they wouldn't keep it to the roof. i'd have scratches all over the plastic and windows, plus dust everywhere. like i said, not practical, just different. and i decided the fiberglass work wasn't worth it.

I wouldn't do it but whatever floats your boat. I'm assuming you have a hatch?
it's actually a coupe

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, i decided not to do it. didn't feel like doing that much fiberglassing, and i was worried about the chalk dust causing problems. i ended up covering it with dark charcoal fabric...
... and i decided the fiberglass work wasn't worth it.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
dude you kinda inspired me tho....instead of scratchy, dusty chalk, why not do a magnetic whiteboard....then you'd have no dust, if the kids got the markers on the windows or interior panels, they'd wipe right off....it'd be pretty cool and unique...i might have to look into it

EDIT
and when i say magnetic, i mean the slightly magnetic whiteboards so the dry-erase markers will stick to the roof...or other magnets if you wanted....dude it'd be awesome

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Might want to do something a little more permanent than magnets. In an accident there is no telling where that thing will fly off and who's head it will take a nice gouge out of. Hell, you wouldn't even need to get into an accident for it to fly off, all it would take would be a nice stomp on the brakes.

On the same note, it makes me shudder when I see people with speakers, boxes, stuff, etc in their back window tray. I wouldn't want to be a passenger in that car when they come flying forward.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Might want to do something a little more permanent than magnets. In an accident there is no telling where that thing will fly off and who's head it will take a nice gouge out of. Hell, you wouldn't even need to get into an accident for it to fly off, all it would take would be a nice stomp on the brakes.

On the same note, it makes me shudder when I see people with speakers, boxes, stuff, etc in their back window tray. I wouldn't want to be a passenger in that car when they come flying forward.

if your that worried about safety , you should wear a hard hat all the time

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

i think you misunderstand me. the only think that would be stuck magnetically to the ceiling would be the markers themselves...the whiteboard is the ENTIRE headliner...not just a whiteboard ON the headliner...so instead of cloth when you look up, you have glossy whiteboard