Changed wheels, now have a bad noise

margaritocamacho

Alright I have a 96 hatch sitting on some unknown coilovers haven't checked what brand ... Well I had some 15's on a 195/55/15 now I have 18's 215/35/18 now have a weird noise in the back sounds like grinding kinda maybe rubbing the sound that goes away when I press on the brakes

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
A) Check if it's rubbing, if it sounds like it is then it probably is.

B) Take those stupid big wheels off that civic, I already know they don't look good.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A) Check if it's rubbing, if it sounds like it is then it probably is.

B) Take those stupid big wheels off that civic, I already know they don't look good.
this, put the 15's back on, that car isnt meant for 18 inch wheels, no one thinks they are cool.

Shrillin

Respected
When you accelerate, the rear drop causes the body to rub your back tires, therefore causing the rub until you brake (which in return would cause you to lean forward and "away" from your rear tires, which is why it stops when your braking). Maybe? I have to agree with others tho, 18 is too large of a rim for a civic.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
18 barely fit in a 6th gen. wheel well when parked. You'll probably see the marks in the tire treads of where its rubbing, if not inside the well itself.

margaritocamacho

Well broke a wheel and had no choice either that or no ride I'm going to see if I can trade for different wheels I'm not liking the wheels either but like I said no choice

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ah, ok. Make sure to get nothing bigger than 16s on a 45 profile or 15s on ideally on a 50-55 profile.

margaritocamacho

Ok they are not rubbing I've narrowed it down to the coilovers and the rear strut bar it's like a clucking noise

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
coilovers, as in sleeves? like ebay jargon?

dancam

Registered VIP
Was it making the noise before you switched tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the noise started after changing over to bigger rims then the rims are the problem and are rubbing. Did you remove each rim in the rear to see if theyre rubbing in the well? Cheap suspension obviously doesnt help but 18s do not fit well on these Civics.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Does the noise speed up when you do? Or is it consistent? Does it happen all the time, just when going over bumps? Does it happen when driving straight, when turning, or both?

dancam

Registered VIP
Its the same all the time except when brakes are applied it quiets down ...

If the noise doesn't change with the speed of the car then it isn't from your tires at all. Do you have a buzzer related to the handbrake being up or something? Or for your headlights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Check and make sure the ebrake is completely disengaging.

Put two of the old rims on the back and see if the noise goes away.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
With what? A good quality brand, I hope.