charcoal can

lsvtec_eg

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a jdm b16 in my 92 cx hatch.. its smog time and i changed everything added all sensors and my friends say change the charcoal can... WTF is the charcoal can for? some say change some say no need too??? man i am frustrated
please help

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Charcoal canisters are part of the EVAP system and are used to absorb/filter petrol fumes from the tank that vent out during expansion/contraction of the air inside. The air is dumped back into the system through the throttle body.

I think there meant to be replaced at 30k miles, but I don't think anyone does.

Maybe someone could clarify and explain a bit better than me, but I hope this helps you.

Red

You Tax Dollars at Work!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I imagine it should be the same for a hatch as a coupe of the same year. If you look just to the right of your battery, you will see a can (usually black) hanging on the firewall. It looks similar to large oil filter. It should have 2 metal lines running to it. This is your charcoal filter. They are about $20-$25 at your parts store. Also, I don't believe it is an evaporation cannister. Rather than an inline fuel filter, the fuel line from the tank connects to the charcoal cannister and then the line from the cannister runs to the the fuel rail. This cleans the fuel of impuraties as an inline filter would. It does not collect the vapors as you will find out when you remove the lines and fuel drips out.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Red said:
I imagine it should be the same for a hatch as a coupe of the same year. If you look just to the right of your battery, you will see a can (usually black) hanging on the firewall. It looks similar to large oil filter. It should have 2 metal lines running to it. This is your charcoal filter. They are about $20-$25 at your parts store. Also, I don't believe it is an evaporation cannister. Rather than an inline fuel filter, the fuel line from the tank connects to the charcoal cannister and then the line from the cannister runs to the the fuel rail. This cleans the fuel of impuraties as an inline filter would. It does not collect the vapors as you will find out when you remove the lines and fuel drips out.

The purpose of the charcoal canister is to collect and store fuel vapor. If you have fuel in the cannister then you are likely overfilling your gas tank and it's running into the charcoal vapor canister.

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You dont have to replace teh EVAP canister. Like many have said its just a device that absorbs liquid/vapor gasoline. The container itself isnt even enclosed. There are small holes in teh bottom. To allow a vaccum action when the car is turned on.

lsvtec_eg

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks to all for the help... i dont know if i should change it or not. but i think honda dealer has it for 90 buccs or something like that

Red

You Tax Dollars at Work!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, I feel like an ass now. It's crazy because all the auto parts stores list that same item as a fuel filter. Now if someone could describe where the fuel filter is located......

lsvtec_eg

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Red said:
Damn, I feel like an ass now. It's crazy because all the auto parts stores list that same item as a fuel filter. Now if someone could describe where the fuel filter is located......
the fuel filter is on the fire wall next to the battery looks like a little tub.

rickles8099

Faster than you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont even need a charcoal canister... i took mine off and still passed my emmisions with flying colors

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rickles8099 said:
you dont even need a charcoal canister... i took mine off and still passed my emmisions with flying colors
even with the turbo??

Red

You Tax Dollars at Work!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lsvtec_eg said:
the fuel filter is on the fire wall next to the battery looks like a little tub.
Damn, I've been working too hard. I was looking at the wrong part all along. Anybody know how to remove a foot from a mouth? :oops:

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Red said:
Damn, I've been working too hard. I was looking at the wrong part all along. Anybody know how to remove a foot from a mouth? :oops:
since your from STL i can help you there. Go to south city, there is a bar named peppers. Go in and drink alot, it all goes away

rickles8099

Faster than you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
even with the turbo??
to do that i had to change back to stock fuel injectors, stock ecu, and disconnect a chargepipe. =)

and then it passed with flying colors

but the charcoal canister was still off of the car.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would have love to have seen the look on the guys face if you failed, and he poped the hood to see a disconnected turbo sitting there

rickles8099

Faster than you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
i would have love to have seen the look on the guys face if you failed, and he poped the hood to see a disconnected turbo sitting there
the first time i went through i had the turbo hooked up. and when they opened the hood i came out and asked him what he was doing. he was like ummm.... im looking for the egr valve. and closed the hood and told me i flunked. just goes to show... they know nothing about cars.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The first time i failed with the B16, he told me i had no PCV valve an pointed valve my breather after arguing for about 15 min, and me explaining what PCV was and where the crankecase was i reached under the manifold, and pulled it off, and told him he was an idiotshut my hood, got the printout and left

rickles8099

Faster than you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and did he say anything about how you had one too many cams to be legal?

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rickles8099 said:
and did he say anything about how you had one too many cams to be legal?

Swaps are fine in STL, but I still have to pass emissions for the original D15 :(

rickles8099

Faster than you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
Swaps are fine in STL, but I still have to pass emissions for the original D15 :(
i heard that you could swap engines, but the engine that you are swapping in has to come stock in that same model and year car.