Charging problem: 2012 Civic

Jeff K

I have a 2012 Honda Civic EX sedan. I installed a rear backup camera in it the other day. In wiring of the camera, I spliced power for camera to a 12V ignition circuit and spliced the trigger to the IMID to the 12V Reverse light wire. I found both these wires on the same green connector above the fuse box on the drivers side. In splicing these wires, I neglected to remove the battery negative wire before soldering the wires together. Immediately upon testing the backup camera, the car wouldn't start, the ABS, VSA, Power steering, and Battery warnings were all triggered. Upon investigation, I discovered that my battery was indeed bad, which probably was due to be replaced anyway, with several dry cells. I suspect my soldering with the battery in circuit may have caused an issue with draining the battery. I have replaced battery, and after driving car a block, all the warning lamps went away. My question is this. When measuring battery voltage unloaded in a static state it is 12.5V. Upon intial start of the car the voltage climbs to 14.7V, but only stays there a few seconds and bleeds back down to the 12.5V with the car still running. Loading down the battery with lights, fans, heaters, and A/C turned on, the voltage rises back up to 14V. Is this normal charging of the battery on this vehicle? I always thought with the cars alternator spinning you would be charging the battery and raise the battery voltage to 14V or slightly more and stay around that voltage. Or is there something else I should be looking into as being bad?

Jeff K

Normal.

Your car has a fuel saving device that turns off the alternator when the battery is charged and the electrical load is low.
Thanks, Changed the alternator for nothing then. Forgot to mention that! LOL!