cheap suspension setup questions?

JDMneeds

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im looking into different suspension setup im broke though so i was thinking on saving some money im not trynna save 1000 bucks on a suspension setup since im not all into performance i just want it more for looks then anything and i dont want it that low anyways since i live in NYC alot of potholes...i dont know how to install them anyways so i'd have to go to a shop to get somebody to do it for me or find somebody to help me out so i needa find a cheap suspension setup for my car before the winter is over so i could put it on around spring time. 1.5 to 2" inches drop would be pretty much what i'd be looking into apparently due to NYC streets not being that good. i have a couple of questions though

1.would it be okay to drop the car on s. techs with stock shocks since is not so much of a severe drop? or would they blow ?

2.what would be the cheapest shocks that you guys think would work good with a 1.5" to 2" drop?

3.also what do you guys think about this set compared to stock

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-New-DropZone-Struts-Shocks-coilovers-92-94-95-Civic_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a15Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem380080007566QQitemZ380080007566QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

B16a2_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
imo any drop on stock shocks would cause em to blow prematurely , i got s. techs on my g35 and they blew the shocks in about 3 months.

if u want to go cheap.. maybe some tokico blues or kyb's.. possibly not cheap in your eyes but keep in mind u get what you pay for especially with suspension. i plan on getting function & form type 1's for about $600. and thats cheap for a good set of coilovers with positive reviews. honestly throwing on some shocks isnt that hard. there's how to's all over.. if you wanna tackle it yourself and want the simplest way possible you should get full coilovers. you would definitely be able to do it with a good how to.

i hear dropzones are crap !! very sloppy ride... id stay away from dropzone.. i think someone actually tested em out on here try finding the thread and ask him how he liked em.

JDMneeds

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks i appreciate your input and i was looking around for those and i found this

http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/product.php?productid=19144&cat=0&page=1

is that the full setup or just the coil over?

that price isn't bad i think i could save up for that by next spring time and i do know that putting them on aint that hard to do and i could probably do it by myself but like i said i really dont have the space u know is not like i have a driveway or a garage and stuff and i live in da bronx lol i dont really know anybody that does. i just moved back out here from PA in february i was there for college and stuff i miss living there i would've done it right on my bak yard man but mostlikely i'll have to pay to get it done jus for not having the space

B16a2_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
those are full coilovers those are exactly what im getting. if u are a member on h-t you can usually get a better deal of stuff through the sponsor threads.. i got quoted at just under $600 shipped to illinois.

dont you guys have storage garages out there? hell ive heard of people that have done theirs in a parking lot.. im pretty sure it would be cheaper to rent out one of them storage places for a couple nights if it even takes that long than it would to pay a shop to do it.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have low mileage on your shocks, just get the S-Techs and ride on them for a while, cheapest way.

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A dropped civic with just springs or coil sleeves can still handle very well on stock shocks. Plenty good for the average driver that likes sporty driving. IMO anywys. I have had my car lowered for like 60xxx miles on stock shocks with like 100K plus miles, and he last 30k have been like 2.5" drop and either mine are fine, or are blown and its really not that bad. I dont know how they wouldn't be blown, but if they are it still handles fine.

I would say throw the springs on, and if the shocks go eventually, (which I would assume they will eventually) then replace the shocks.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
People must not realise that KYB GR2s are OEM replacement shocks. STechs should be fine on your stock shocks.

I had stock shocks with ground control coilvers and I was down about 2.5" and never had a problem.