Check Engine Light Help

Corybant1031

5+ Year Member
My check engine light just came on the other day so I took my 2000 Honda Civic Hx to Advance Auto Parts to get a diagnostic run. The guy told me that it said "fuel air sensor." He said that its probably the mass air flow sensor, but I don't think civics have MAFs. I replaced the O2 sensor only like 5 or 6 months ago so I don't think that's the problem. Will someone please give me opinions on what you think it might be.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
moved to engine tech

which o2 sensor did you replace? there's 2 of them for obd2 vehicles. the upstream sensor controls your air/fuel mixture and the downstream monitors exhaust emmissions

ThrottlebotEM1

5+ Year Member
I replaced the upper one. Is it possible for it to be needing replaced again this early?
probably not

are you sure he said air fuel sensor and not intake air temperature sensor? if so that would effect the amount of fuel your getting which might send off another code like o2 sensor... check the voltage to the iat sensor and check the ohlms

1Draw

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It sounds to me you did not turn your fuel cap all the way after a stop at the gas station.
You must be geting air in your fuel tank thats causing your check engine to light, it happend to me already.
Turn the gas cap until it makes a few clicks then unplug the positive from the battery, wait about 10 minutes for a good reset and plug it back.
It should be all good.
Good Luck!

BEAR_times

Undeniable
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I paid 149.99+tax for an OBDII at autozone. The connection port is close to the hood release. It read P0420 which means the catalyst efficiency is below threshold. My friend works at a shop and told me to turn off the check engine light with the OBDII by pressing code erase. If it should come back on within a week i will need a new cat. "dont waste your money on 02 sensors, man.." he says. Labor with removal+installation+welding will run me $80 - the cost of the cat. jfyi Autozone will let me return the OBDII with a full refund no questions asked.