check engine light

h22a4civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well guys, my crx is finally up on blocks waiting the b20 beast, i baught a 96 civic for 200, and i need to find out if on the ecu, they have a blinking light, throwing a code out, i know they do on my crx, but not sure on the 96 civic ex

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
$200 for a 96 civic ex?

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought we all had it...

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
yes u can jump the ECU on a 96 to check your codes,

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do the basic code trick first.

on your kick panel (passenger side). pull off the plastic piece, there is your ecu, off your ecu there is a little blue plug with 2 holes in it(this thing may be in a big rubber green thing) any how take a paper clip or something bend it in a U shape and put an end in each hole. now put your key in the ignition and crank it over as far as you can with out starting the car. Your check engine light will start flashing now, long flashes count as ten, short flashes count as one, so if you have six long, seven short it's 67. this code will cycle over and over again your only pullin' 2 digits.

h22a4civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what u mean 2 digits. like only up to 99 no 3 digits like 100, and is this a good way to do things. lol y cant they just have a light!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
black89crxls said:
what u mean 2 digits. like only up to 99 no 3 digits like 100, and is this a good way to do things. lol y cant they just have a light!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's because that's the way they chose to do it. You can either choose to play ball or shutup and buy a Ford. What's it going to be?

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the light is the check engine light. and yes, there are only 2 digit codes. if you have more then one code, then after the first code it will pause then flash the second code then the next and it will repeat. if you dont want to do it yourself, take the car to autozone or kregan, they will check the code for free. or you can be stupid and take it to honda and let them charge you $80 and tell you want the codes are. the paper clip is the method that most people do if they want to find a check engine code themselves..

00CivicGirl

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ you can also take it to autozone and they see what code you are throwing for free =) then its up to you to find otu what it means but hell its a start

h22a4civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok well i used a whire and it didnt work, i guess ill try again

dipset891

whats really good?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anekin007 said:

on your kick panel (passenger side). pull off the plastic piece, there is your ecu, off your ecu there is a little blue plug with 2 holes in it(this thing may be in a big rubber green thing) any how take a paper clip or something bend it in a U shape and put an end in each hole. now put your key in the ignition and crank it over as far as you can with out starting the car. Your check engine light will start flashing now, long flashes count as ten, short flashes count as one, so if you have six long, seven short it's 67. this code will cycle over and over again your only pullin' 2 digits.
good to know finally .i always heard people say they checked their codes but nobody said how to

ekhatch-r

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anekin007 said:

Damn, I didn't even know about that. thanks for the tip.

imp0rtfre4k

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anekin007 said:

damn thats good information thanks man!! i just "fixed" my teg and its runnin like s**t and the check engine light is on... can u use this same strategy on any other car (specifically my integra).. i thought u just looked at the ecu and it would have a couple numbers on it that u look up but i guess not =) thanks bro i love learnin new stuff about cars.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
to let u know what the problem is

illicon2003

master pimp
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you mean you bought the seats for 200? You'll need the brackets and some misc bolts and a drill.