Check out this Acura EL i just bought!... WTH is an EL? :what:

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Found this Acura EL 1.6 on Craigslist today. $600, needs front end work, make a good parts car for a civic the ad says. No pictures posted.

So I go check it out and....

The girl comes out and says, it clicks when I turn and I don't know how to fix cars so I was hoping to get $600 for it. .. This is one of those rare times I don't mind paying full asking price :thumbs up I didn't even know what an EL was until today. Turns out it's a fancy Civic EX sedan that was built and sold inside Canada only with leather heated seats, a tach, and a bunch of other nice Acura touches.. 143,000 miles 5 speed vtec..

Anyway... off to the sale lot it goes =)

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
Els are nice i never see them, people sometimes do el front end conversions on cars

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
These things are pretty rare. Clean it up with OEM parts, get it cherry, and you can sell this for quite a bit man. You rarely see em.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Maybe down south where you guys are but my buddy says he sees them around town every so often. I really think i'd be hard pressed to get over 3k for it here. Took me weeks holding out for the highest offer on the last couple hatches I had which ended up around $4500. Although I guess this EL appeals to a different demographic so... Who know? I might be surprised! It has a short ram intake on it (or what ever) while everything else is 100% stock. Looks stupid and may hurt my sell to an older buyer. Would a 98 EX OEM intake fit it? Anything that came with a D16y8? or was that a y7? I can't remember now.

Or maybe any OEM D series EK intake would work... I'll get pics of the engine bay tomorrow.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Maybe down south where you guys are but my buddy says he sees them around town every so often. I really think i'd be hard pressed to get over 3k for it here. Took me weeks holding out for the highest offer on the last couple hatches I had which ended up around $4500. Although I guess this EL appeals to a different demographic so... Who know? I might be surprised! It has a short ram intake on it (or what ever) while everything else is 100% stock. Looks stupid and may hurt my sell to an older buyer. Would a 98 EX OEM intake fit it? Anything that came with a D16y8? or was that a y7? I can't remember now.

Or maybe any OEM D series EK intake would work... I'll get pics of the engine bay tomorrow.
The EX has the Y8, so I think it'll fit. Or any d series intake for that matter.

Yeah but everyone has an ek front
Because it looks better, and people don't go out of their way to get a less appealing front end.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look up honda domini. you will find all you need to know about it

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I'm going to go hit up the salvage yard over lunch and see if they have any EK's laying around. It really does look dumb like that. Unless anyone here wants to trade me =) ... It's probably just a knock off no name intake. I'll get pics when I head home after lunch, salvage yard.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They are rare in the US but in Canada they are super common. The Y8 intake will fit because it's the exact same car. It's just a 4 door Civic with some different panels, if yours has leather, you got the nicer model.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Also, the ABS light is on. Any ideas on where to start? I'm planning to repair/replace the CV's as they're clicking going around turns. While I have the car up on the lift, what should I be looking for that will cause an ABS light? I've never had to look into an ABS problem before.

EDIT: NM. Apparently RonJ here is a moderator on Hondatech with 29,000 posts (should have known). He posted this info for someone else years ago.

RonJ

Banned
You pull ABS codes from the ABS computer the same way as pulling CEL codes --> jump the service connector.

The diagram you posted above is relevant only when the ABS light is on while driving and no ABS codes are retrieved when the service connector is jumped.

Click the Codes link in my signature.