Chip in Crank Pulley on B16a

ryn004

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I got a 1" chip on my crank pulley (i.e. pulley with all accesory belts conencted to), and my mechanic said that it won't effect the operation of the pulley.
Having a chip would mean tha tthe crank is not balance, so am I right thinking that I need it to get it replace, or is the mechanic right?

If you reckon I need to change it, do I get a OEM repalcement or is there a worthed upgrade?

stealthex

stealthex
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ahh it should b fine i wouldent worry unless it looks like the belts falling off and if so check ur local junk yard

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a chip too...but the ounce chunk of metal that you lost does nothing to the 40lb crank that you have

ryn004

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Yeah but when for example I get a dent in my wheel, the car would start vibrating at high speeds. Wouldn't this be hte same theory for a pulley?

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a chip too...but the ounce chunk of metal that you lost does nothing to the 40lb crank that you have
i am no authority in dynamics but 1 oz @ 7000 rpm will have some effect on the rotating assembly. the question for me is will the rubber oem dampener (if it has one) do its job well enough that there is no effect on the crank.

having said that, i have successfully ran a chipped pulley on my motor, it always left me questioning but i NEVER had problems. i think i rock flew up under the wheel well and chipped the furthest most pulley journal.

ryn004

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thanks for your views guys. I decided to leave it as is!