Choking under load! Please help!

9toes

5+ Year Member
Alright here are my specs...

I have an obd1 stock B16A In my EG coupe with exaust and intake, I did the swap at the bigining of the summer and it ran fine till now.

This is what happened. All summer i ran without a knock sensor so there was a cel code on, well i finally get around to wiring it in and it turns the cel code off. But about 3 hours later it chokes out on me when i get on it, almost like fuel is cutting out, so i unplug it and it runs fine, a couple days later i plug it back in and it starts doing the same thing again. Still no cel code tho. So I unplug it again and it runs fine for a couple days then randomley starts doing the same thing again but this time even if im cruzing not getting on it, I also noticed that when it does it the rpm gauge goes crazy. Now its to the point were i cant even drive it down the street from my house without it bogging out and choking its even started dieing at idle. It also finally threw a code: it was the map sensor< but even after i replaced the map sensor it still did the same s**t.

Note: i do have a wide band gauge and Vtec controller "VAFC2" and when this happens the gauge reads all the way LEAN @ 17.9 OR 18.0
Note: the ecu wires where all butt connected on the small middle connector from the previous owner, I am also running a P30 ECU.

Heres what i have done so far to try and fix it...
1:Changes map sensor
2:Re wired the butt connected ecu plug and sottered the wires together< also checked the pinouts for it to make sure they were correct
3:Changed spark plugs
4:Changed distributor CAP
5:Re grounded the whole engine bay and made sure the tranny and dizzy had good grounds
6:Cleaned the injectors
7:Changed fuel filter
8:Changed fuel pump
9:Checked for vacum leaks
10:compressoin is great

I dont know what else to do someone please help! lol

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Number 1: I lol'd at the thread title because it reminds me of Biz's mom.
Number 2: Have you tired a new knock sensor?

Was is a code 23 before? Also is it a JDM P30 (short box) or USDM P30 (longbox)?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Number 1: I lol'd at the thread title because it reminds me of Biz's mom.
:bluelol: :rolf: :rotflmfao: baahaha! :lol:

OP, could be o2 sensor... Had a VERY similar issue to that.

9toes

5+ Year Member
haha didnt even notice how the title sounded.. lol

and its a jdm p30 (short box)

and it was code 23 and code 3
23 for the knock sensor
3 for the map sensor
and at the momment im not throwing any codes i plugged the knock sensor back in and changed the map sensor< but its still bogging out and choking well driving but not throwing any codes.

and as for the o2 sensor i actually just replaced that not to long ago so im pretty sure its not that, but i might check it just to be safe.