Cigarette lighter melted my charger, help!

CivicEx'00

2000 civic ex EM1 Coupe
I had quite a bit of draw going through my cigarette lighter, (an extention with two other outlets and plugged into that were some
interior under dash lights)

It had been fine and dandy for a few weeks, then all of a sudden today the plug going into the car outlet started smoking and smelled like burning plastic.

I immediately pulled it out, but I think the damage was done. Half of the lights are fried I think, and whenever I plug a different plug into the outlet I start smelling the burning plastic again

What should I do? Shouldn't a fuse have protected from this? I'm confused about why it let me get to the point where it would burn out my stuff

Any help is appreciated as always

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Check the fuse to make sure it's not too large. For example, if it's supposed to take a 15A fuse, make sure there's not a 20A fuse in there instead.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Move those extra LED or lights or whatever you've wired to it to other circuits. You are drawing too much current. Lucky you melted your charger and not a bunch of cables together which could have caused a way worse electrical issue, or even a fire.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its possible that you overloaded it to the point where the fuse, and possibly othe wiring, has melted together. Keep in mind that doing things as you did could lead to a fire.