Civic '93 Speedometer Issue not responding

Dimorphic

Hi guys,

I'm new here to ClubCivic and I recently bought a second hand Honda Civic 1993 LX (carb type) with about 123k+ mileage (it's currently stuck at this mileage). My concern is about my speedometer as it does not function, but the RPM is working. When you turn on the ignition, it goes up a little above the zero in the speedometer. I have tried replacing the VSS, but to no avail the speedometer still does not work. I had someone check the whole panel and he said that it has no cables and it is a digital speedometer. We believe that there is no fuse for this as well since it's a carb type.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

If you have any questions or clarifications, feel free to let me know and I'm open to suggestions or any workarounds.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome to ClubCivic, @Dimorphic :hi:

Shucks, my first suggestion would be to replace the VSS, but you've done that. Speedo and odometer not working should point toward the VSS being bad (I think?); did you replace it with a new part, or a used one?

Maybe there's a broken wire between the VSS and the instrument cluster? It should be pretty straightforward to test with a multimeter and length of wire, but I wouldn't know which pins to test on the cluster.

On my 93 del sol you can test the VSS by hand-spinning the passenger front wheel while holding a voltmeter to the sensor wire on the VSS. The line should pulse between ground and +5V according to the Haynes manual. If you can find the equivalent test for your car, it'd be worth performing just to be sure.

Dimorphic

Thank you for your warm welcome and response @ctag. :banana:

It was a used VSS, basically we just removed it from another Civic (same model but EFI type) and installed it on my car then returned it after testing.

Possibly a broken wire could be the culprit, but I will take into consideration your suggestion on testing with a multimeter and length of wire. I'd have to figure it out also which pins to test on the cluster as well.

I'll let you know once I have done this test.