Civic 99 Front End is not sitting flush/ leveled

pmartos24

Whats up guy Just need some help on this issue I have. My front bumper, hood, and grill are not sitting flush, the right side of the bumper is sagging also . It looks like a puzzle not put together. Im just really picky and just can't stand it. I bought a type r grill and when I installed it made the car look worst so I took it off.

Here are the pictures (Copy and paste link)

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=fNkd6hpTbcM/pCwTojSXOYh4l5k2TGxc#.Uzny1tzMrKc

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=fNkd6hpTbcPdyjW5FWmpe4h4l5k2TGxc#.UznwwNzMrKd

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For forums, paste the IMG link not the URL. That way people don't have to click on the links and go to another site. Most people don't like clicking on links that take them elsewhere. :thumbs up

Has the car been in a wreck? Are the headlights, bumper, grill, etc all stock?

pmartos24

Oh ok thanks for the tip. The headlights are aftermarket and the bumper and grill are stock. No the car has not been in an accident.

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There are metal tabs on the fenders that the bumper connect to. Bend those tabs up until flush. Also from the picture it looks as if you have hit something dead center of the bumper. For the hood area take the bumper off and attempt to bend the front supports up also.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue on the driver side

Adjust the front and fender tab. Not perfect but better.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmartos24

Thanks for the tip guys. The previous owner said someone kicked his front bumper but you never know the truth for sure. Ive taken off the bumper and I did not see any tabs near the fender or the front ?

Ice Cream Kid

If your car is like mine, it's been hit by something in the front. Not sure what, but mine had a big obvious dent in the bumper. My bumper sits really far from the headlight on the driver's side, I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. (it's f*ckin' cold in Minnesota!)
I'll try to get a better picture when it's not 9:30pm, but here you can see it

My best guess is your bumper support thingies (the little tabs they described ^ ) are all outta whack, just less obvious than mine. Mine you can actually see the bumper not sitting on :P

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah there are tabs on the fenders where the bumper meets and also on the radiator area where the bumper sits. Took me about 5 mins and still have a few cms to go. You want to adjust them slow so you dony weaken them by bending up and down

pmartos24

Today I finally had some time on my hands and took off the front bumper. I adjusted the radiator support ones and I just noticed what you said to make sure i move them slow. Mine are weak and feel like their going to fall of so i left it alone. Pretty much everything is perfect except the bumper sag near the headlight. I took a good look at it and it seems the bumper isnt at a good location so when i bolt it up it pretty much is just holding it on not making it flush. Can anyone give me some ideas o how to fix the sag. This was my main issue from day 1. Thanks for the help

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Take a new pic of the area your talking about.

CO671

Registered VIP
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=790135
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=38052347#post38052347

seems like you guys have left out the fender stiffener which is pretty important to make your front end clean and flush.

As you can see my bumper is flush with the fender, and it's pretty solid and tight even if I push the bumper and it won't go in. Many people who have done the conversion will realize that their bumper go in a bit and won't flush with fender.

This is the reason. The 99-00 and 96-98 use different fender stiffener. As you see 99-00 has two small tabs at the end while 96-98 is flat, nothing. The bigger tab is used to push the bumper out when it's on, the smaller tab will go in the hole in fender.

Also note that both stiffener have different angle at the base. 99-00 will be wider with the angle is has once installed on chasis.

Here is how the stiffener of 99-00 looks like when installed, you will see the bigger tab act like a guard to prevent the bumper goes in and make the bumper flushed with fender.

pmartos24

Ok I finally have everything the way i wanted. I bent the radiator support up, and I could not find the fender tabs. (until now that I saw this). I went to Lows and got a bolt, i drilled into the fender near the headlight and now everything sits nice and flush. My after market grill fits perfect now. Also for the crack in the middle of the bumper I found a metal tab in my garage, I cut it to fit the crack and drilled some holes and now the crack is basically gone. Thanks everyone for the help.

Heres a pic of the out come

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=fNkd6hpTbcPcA9RtucMBooh4l5k2TGxc#.U0CaEygQi5Y

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think I recognize that car from a build thread back in the day...

EDIT - Phunhaus's hatch from JDMU. I read every page of that damn build. Dude is crazy.

Anyway. If it's not lining up from "someone kicking it" then it was likely in an accident. Even if CarFax says it's fine. If it lines up that badly and the tabs are that weak, there's got to be other signs of damage.

Did you replace the head lights, or did he? And is there a VIN sticker under the hood that matches the original?

My gf's 2000 EX has aftermarket head lights and a different hood. When I asked the guy, he said it rolled into the back of a truck.