'00 Civic blowing blue smoke

williammw20

00 civic ex 1.6l non vtec, checked my oil, it was added oil to it & started to drive a couple hours later, now blue smoke is boiling out of the exhaust. Turned car off popped the hood, & cranked the car again, smoke boiled out from around the head. If you guys have any ideas on what to check that'd be great. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williammw20

No I bought it from a car lot a couple months ago so I'm not sure how worn out the internals were. Im definitely looking into the rebuild kit.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No I bought it from a car lot a couple months ago so I'm not sure how worn out the internals were. Im definitely looking into the rebuild kit.

That was more of a statement I suppose.
If it is an Ex with a non vtec motor, it has been swapped.
EX should have single cam vtec in it.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
It sounds like oil is getting into the explosion chamber, I'd put my money on worn piston rings.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
What kind of oil did you add to it? Is the smoke coming out of the exhaust or just coming out from behind the car? Did you check to see where the oil is burning on the exhaust inside the engine bay?

williammw20

The smoke is coming out of the exhaust & around the headers in the engine bay & I put castrol gtx 5w 30 in it that's what it says run. Quick question I've checked numerous sites trying to find out what factory engine comes in the 00 civic ex I've seen that it comes with the d16y8 vtec & other sites say the d16y7 non vtec. Anybody know exactly which one it is? Thanks

Restotech

Respected
If it is a true ex and hasn't been motor swapped it is a d16y8 vtec engine. Smoke from around the exhaust manifold is usually an oil leak from the valve cover. Smoke from the exhaust tip is either burning oil or coolant or fuel. Fuel is black smoke and can smell like gas. Oil is greyish, bluish and smells like oil. Coolant is white and can smell somewhat sweet. Main cause of coolant, is a blown head gasket. Main cause of oil are piston rings or valve seals.

williammw20

I have a 00 civic ex & just recently it started blowing clouds of blue smoke out the exhaust. I stopped popped the hood & smoke boils out from around bottom of engine as well. Any suggestions? I wanna say burnt rings or blown head gasket but not exactly sure. Any help would nice, thanks.

Mmo

Blue smoke while running or revving is piston rings. Blue smoke on startup after sitting for a while are valve stem seal and/or guides. Overheating and smoke most likely head gasket. You will need to do a leak down test to confirm.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@williammw20 , I merged the thread you created today into this one (comments #13 & #14) since this is obviously not a "recent" issue. Please do not create double threads as there is no need to.

Smoke from under the engine would imply an exhaust leak so inspect the joints. You already received multiple suggestions about the smoke being blue since you first asked 2 months ago so what have you done with them since then?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What happened with everything else you were suggested to consider? I assume this decision is based on the "smoke" issue being unresolved.

What do you want to rebuild? The block, the head, both? Be specific and state why.

williammw20

I changed the oil & spark plugs then added some bars leak no smoke to my oil to get my car running temporarily so I'd have away to work. All plugs were fouled, Cylinder 4 had oil on spark plug. I want to rebuild head and block. Car doesn't smoke now, but has no power at all.