Civic EX Steering wheel change?

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I have been poking around in the garage and closets and found this Grant GT DIA four spoke steering wheel. My civic's steering wheel is old and worn, I put the cover from my previous dx on it (it surprisingly helped the steering wheel from shaking but why?) but after finding this I wondered. Should I replace it with this one? would it be a good idea (I surely haven't seen this on any civic but I could be wrong) ? I read up and saw that some steering wheels that are switched into Hondas have around 6-8 allen screws when bolting on...this steering wheel has 5, so would that be a problem? :drive:

Trekk

Registered VIP
Well the downside is if you still have a working airbag system removing the steering wheel will put an end to that. Once you trip the system they all are suppose to stop working even the pass. That's not to say you can't sneak around it. My muscle car has a racing seat and steering wheel in it. I used resistors to fool the system into thinking it still has the air bag and seat buckle in place. It's really not a safe thing to have on a daily driver, but I see it all the time on civics and often on all the rebuilt title cars I get in the shop.

It's your safety to consider.

You can put the grant on, I have before but you need to find the mount for it that will fit your car.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Thanks Trekk, I figured that would be problem...if only there was a way to have them work together....ill start the research! but say theres no way but I figure ill take that risk...where can I find that mount? would it be specific to grant?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just throwin this out there...

Grant steering wheels are junk

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Just throwin this out there...

Grant steering wheels are junk
I wouldn't know lol, I figured Since it was in my garage and all but would be a waste to have a $171 steering wheel just sit there...most people pop in nrg and other quick release steering wheels...sooo, Mymmeryloss: MY QUESTION IS..how do I choose a good steering wheel ? pros and cons?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a nrg slim hub, nrg quick release and a keys racing steering wheel.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$171 for a grant? Ouch. Is that what they are going for now? I have had many grant wheels through out the years and never paid over $100 for them brand new...

To answer the question about the hub, you need to find one that mates a grant to a civic. Grants have 5 bolts, sparco/NRG/MOMO/Nardi have 6 bolts. If you get one of the latter, you need to find a hub that matches.

After having all those grant wheels in the past and running a couple MOMO recently, I would never go back to a grant. There is a definite difference in quality that is scary. The MOMO wheels I had (MOMO Mod7 and MOMO Trek R) where night and day.

Keys are excellent wheels as well.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I have a nrg slim hub, nrg quick release and a keys racing steering wheel.
nice =)

$171 for a grant? Ouch. Is that what they are going for now? I have had many grant wheels through out the years and never paid over $100 for them brand new...

After having all those grant wheels in the past and running a couple MOMO recently, I would never go back to a grant. There is a definite difference in quality that is scary. The MOMO wheels I had (MOMO Mod7 and MOMO Trek R) where night and day.

Keys are excellent wheels as well.
That is what they are going for, shocking because I can literally see the poor quality...I think it's safe to say that grant isn't an "ideal" steering wheel :P I will most likely end up getting a new wheel after a bit of research but sounds like I would pick between MOMO and NRG, I haven't seen a Keys but that's what google is for :ok:

lol

Last edited by a moderator:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You havent seen a keys wheel cuz theyre ridiculously rare.

I would run something other than the grant if i were you.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Rare? Don't they still make them?
Ok. Well theyre not as rare as they used to be since the internet has made it so easy to get parts from japan. But they are made to order and are expensive lol.

That sounds more on point :thumbs up

And i consider them rare because you dont see them around like momo, sparco, nardi etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok. Well theyre not as rare as they used to be since the internet has made it so easy to get parts from japan. But they are made to order and are expensive lol.

That sounds more on point :thumbs up
Gotcha, I never knew that they were made to order.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mine was :what:

Took over 3 months for me to get it lol