Civic HX: MSD Ignition Options

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a stock 5-speed 1997 Civic HX (D16Y5) with a magnaflow header/cat. I may replace the distributor cap, rotor & wires soon so I figure now is the best time to consider any reasonable upgrade options. I've only used NGK plugs & wires so far along with the stock cap & rotor. I havent come across any clear info on using MSD cap, rotor, wires & external coil on my D16y5. Apparently, the corresponding part # is 82913. My understanding is that the MSD setup will improve spark timing and strength for improved performance. Could this also improve fuel efficiency or at least maintain it while improving throttle response?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From what I was told by a few different Honda mechanics, one was our ex member RonJ, stay with stock. Ngk specifically. These don't respond kindly to aftermarket ignition bits. I remember researching it when I was thinking about making the switch and always hit the same end. I also remember newbs coming on here with ignition problems and Ron traced a few of them back to the msd set ups. That was years ago though so maybe they improved on the design.

I had 2 msd boxes that I couldn't give away. One was the one for imports and the other was a 6al box. No one wanted 'em. Figured there was a good reason behind no one wanting it. s**t, might still have it in a box somewhere.