civic keep stalling!! help plz

99WheelsSI

5+ Year Member
So, for the past few weeks i've been having idle issues. at first when i would cold start it the idle would jump up to 3500 then gradually go down to 2500. until last friday. I thought that i had narrowed it down to the FITV (fast idle thermo valve) so i took the throttle off. got the valve off cleaned it and put it back on.
I put everything back together... then started the car. No more high idle... but instead it sat at around 1500.. but it jumped every half second between 1400-1500.. and did that at every stop sign, light, whatever.

So i decided to replace the FITV i got a new one today from acura. slapped that bi*ch on and when i went to start it my car stalled.. every single time.. i cant get it to idle at all. i gotta give it gas to keep from stalling.

also, something else interesting happened. 2 of the times when it stalled. the engine kept turning over.. though there was no combustion going on it kept spinning.. very slowly. could this be the starter? i've never had any issues with the starter in this car... i have no idea what to do next. help would be great! thanks

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get the car warmed to op temp.. adjust your idle screw on the throttle body till you find the right setting... clean your IAVC till it comes out clean and try that till u get where your looking for.

99WheelsSI

5+ Year Member
well i was gonna try adjusting the idle screw, but the s**t it sealed in there tight as hell. i'm not sure how to break the sealant and get the screw spinning

99WheelsSI

5+ Year Member
also, i already cleaned the iacv last friday. its just the plug for it keeps falling out or isnt even connected right. i also have a cel code flashing... since last friday. but when i counted the flashes it added to 22.. which i think is vtec pressure switch. but the car was kicking into vtec...so im not sure

omdaspirations

5+ Year Member
check your TPS voltage... mine wont idle either and i think the TPS is the culprit... it should read a certain voltage... i forgot what it was... like 12.1 or something... dont quote me.

omdaspirations

5+ Year Member
it sounds like you're running either to lean or 2 rich... like the combustion ratio is off which is why it keeps dying...

let me thinkk...

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you ask the part guy if the FITV was compatible with your Si? Just cuz there both B series, doesnt mean it will work properly.

And before you replaced the FITV, it sounded like you had a vacuum leak. Check all your lines to make sure there plugged up right

MagicOPromotion

5+ Year Member
civic keep stalling help plz

How did it go with your trouble. Ive been having the same problems. the stalling and sputtering went away after a couple of days gonna disconnect my battery today to see if the check engine light will stay off.

ATR_ben

5+ Year Member
heh heh i have the same problem, everyone i asked suggested that i need to replace my tps