Civic Lsi (eg)- Whats With The Feeling Of Extra Power Past 4k Revs?

fab0012

5+ Year Member
To all of you who have an lsi civic you ever feel like its got like some sort of mini vtec, revs seem to produce way more power after 4k revs, any ideas?

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Idk but the d15b7 that was in my hatch before I swapped it did the same thing.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes, Vtec engine's seem to wake up after 3800 rpms.

onesikEJ8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gee when did honda ever invent vtec... boggles my mind haha

95c1v1c

5+ Year Member
I always thought my non vtec 1.5 ltr engine was a prototype or something. I loved the extra kick at that rpm. Sadly I had to leave her in England when I moved back to the states. But I got a proper EX when I arrived.
If you see my DX around east England, the number plate was L802WEG and was Aztec Green Pearl. Bought new at 17 miles on the clock, sold car with 222,000. Didn't want to sell...but had to.

DX-special

5+ Year Member
I never understood that either, i'm running a non-vtec DX coupe here in canada, and at 4100 rpm, i'm getting a noticeable power boost, can't complain but quite odd!!!

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I never understood that either, i'm running a non-vtec DX coupe here in canada, and at 4100 rpm, i'm getting a noticeable power boost, can't complain but quite odd!!!
maybe that power boost is your foot going through the floorboard begging for more?

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe that power boost is your foot going through the floorboard begging for more?
i bet, hell on the USDM 88-91 D15B1 motors the second injector kicks on at around 2700 to 2900 rpms, and you can notice it then too. but my motor still sucks, waiting for the ls to be done so i can rev the s**t out of the 15 and blow it to motor hell

AcousticAudio

Built LSVTEC .63 a/r stg3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I spool at 3200 rpm, vtec at 5100, I dont have time to notice any other small boosts :P

eg8hardcore

5+ Year Member
I swear, the lack of reading comprehension by some people on this forum amazes me. It DOES NOT have Vtec for all the jackasses that made a comment about "gee when did honda create vtec"

To the op, it's called combustion sir. You know, your car runs off it. The higher rpms, the more pressure and combustion, therefore, more power. It's just that it's on such a small level, you don't notice it in the lower rpms. I know what you mean, in 3rd gear around 40mph mine starts to pick up a lot. You can suddenly feel the accelaration.

95c1v1c

5+ Year Member
I swear, the lack of reading comprehension by some people on this forum amazes me. It DOES NOT have Vtec for all the jackasses that made a comment about "gee when did honda create vtec"

To the op, it's called combustion sir. You know, your car runs off it. The higher rpms, the more pressure and combustion, therefore, more power. It's just that it's on such a small level, you don't notice it in the lower rpms. I know what you mean, in 3rd gear around 40mph mine starts to pick up a lot. You can suddenly feel the accelaration.
Thanks for the info, it might be useful:roll:

fab0012

5+ Year Member
hey
thanx for all the replies so far but i think ive figured it out, the lsi only runs on 8 valves until 3800 revs when all 16v kick in hence the extra power, it makes it more economic