Civic Misfiring....help please!

xx2000CIVICxx

5+ Year Member
i know there are other posts on this, but none really match mine.. and yes i have searched the internet for the past 3 days not having found anything... with that said here is my problem.

Thursday my car batter dies on me while sitting at sonic talking (car was off and i accidently left headlights on) but it only sat for around 7 minutes before i tried restarting it but it wouldn't turn over, i dont know if thats related but i figured i would mention it.

And Then Friday morning i woke up and had to move my car out of the driveway. i didn't notice anything at all. but then when i went to move it back about and hour later i noticed it was shaking really badly when i started it up and my check engine light was blinking. it scared me to drive it so i decided to let it sit till i could get a second opinion on it.

i finally decided that i would drive it up to autozone and have the codes ran. well the results came back and it ran a P0300 code, random misfires in cylinders 1,2,&4. first thing we did was change the spark plugs, did nothing. i have changed spark plugs wires not too long ago, but we checked and i am in fact getting spark. so would that eliminate spark plugs, wires, dizzy, etc..?

i unplugged the MAF sensor from the throttle body, and the engine ran even worse, so i am assuming that isn't the problem either. So my Question is, have you guys had problems similar to this? and ideas as to what it could be?

how old is the timing belt? may have stretched or jumped timing. check the timing marks on the crank and cam gear.

xx2000CIVICxx

5+ Year Member
if it were the timing belt, wouldn't all cylinders be misfiring? idk thats just what i figured. but thanks.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
First, Check Compression.

96Vt3c

same thing for me except 2 3 and 4 were misfiring, i changed the plugs, wires, and the cap..fixed the problem for me. gl

civikminded

me too: repair as in the prior post. I think the mechanic also did something to check or clean the pvs valve. The car ran great after the repair. But my problem is that 6 weeks later, the engine check light is coming on again and the engine is idling rough for a minute or so at idle. My original problem before started this same way, a little idle problem then gradually over the course of a couple of weeks running very rough. So I am wondering if I just had the symptom fixed and if there is an underlying cause that has been overlooked.