Civic motor swap advice please

blk&yellowhatch

Hey, i have a 99 civic dx hatchback and am getting colse to having the cash for a swap. It's been a long time coming as we all know how brutal the stock 1.6s are, anyways the swaps I have been considering include: f20b (dohc vtec), h22, and the h23A (dohc vtec). Now I am mostly looking for best bang for buck here but also the rarity factor is cool too because id like to have something not many ppl have but you cant argue w the value of the h22. So Im just wondering if anyone has some advice to help out here as its a big decision and an extra info will be great help. Thanks

JRanINC.

personally, I would do a k20 swap and boost it. best for power, but if you want to be unique then h22 is straight as well..

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
^x2.

Although really good engines, the engine you are thinking of putting in are a bit under-powered for their weight. Engine's like the F20 DOHC VTEC and the H-Series engines can feel more like a burden because of their weight. This coupled with gas consumption for the power output would put the outdated F- and H-Series engines under par when compared to K-Series engines.

Nowadays, we have plug-and-play kits for any engine/chassis combination you can think of. Heck, I remember when B18CR's and K-Series engines were rare because they had to be manually wired. There are even F20C (S2K) powered Civic's out there. There is no such thing as a rare Honda Swap anymore.

blk&yellowhatch

very good point, but in my area most people do b16, b18 and h22 swaps and thats it. Most don't believe the h23a has vtec so i thought that would be cool to do, but id love to do a k series swap but do you think theyre more money than theyre worth? because on sites like tiger japanese they run almost double other swaps. A friend of mine is selling a k20 for $200 but needs work its not the typeS one but should still be plenty of power for a hatch i was just wondering what else id need besides the motor for the complete swap