civic on e85?

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i hear e85 burns cooler and is cheaper. what do u all think about running a civic on e85? you would need bigger injectors and some way of tunning it but idk. just throwing out a topic to talk about.

Any input??

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i used to have a friend with a k20 eg, he ran it on e85, and it ran great.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
expect a 16-20% loss in gas mileage (which, with how cheap gas is currently, off-sets the "cost effectiveness" for a commuter car.

you would absolutely have to have tuning done on it, or you'll blow up your motor.

it'll give you a more broad, better torque curve with some extra power if tuned properly.

Long term, you'll have to switch to solid or SS braided lines as e85 will eat through rubber soft lines in time.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
? eat through the lines. havent heard that yet. not that i dont believe you but where have you heard that? i was just plating around with the idea of like half gas half e85. tuned with a vafc.

Why did this get moved to off topic? this is tech

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
? eat through the lines. havent heard that yet. not that i dont believe you but where have you heard that? i was just plating around with the idea of like half gas half e85. tuned with a vafc.

Why did this get moved to off topic? this is tech
i dont think you can mix them, but i might be wrong.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea. thats what i was thinkin, cuz it runs cooler, is cheaper, and apparently burns more complete

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont think you can mix them, but i might be wrong.
if they couldnt be mixed then all of the FFV'S " Flex fuel vehicles " would have to have zero gasoline in the tank in order to use E-85. Now if your tank was completely empty, How would you get to the gas station?:lol:

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if they couldnt be mixed then all of the FFV'S " Flex fuel vehicles " would have to have zero gasoline in the tank in order to use E-85. Now if your tank was completely empty, How would you get to the gas station?:lol:
what a smart dude

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and this is why i said i might be wrong.

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its all good. thats why everyone is here. if we all knew it all there wouldnt be forums. but any ideas on fuel managment?

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its all good. thats why everyone is here. if we all knew it all there wouldnt be forums. but any ideas on fuel managment?
google E85. you will probably have more luck finding out what needs to be done and the different specs and mileage that can be expected.

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why is this in off topics when it should be in Engine Tech?

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tuning a car for e85 with a vafc is a problem waiting to happen IMO. If you're going to do it, it should be done through a more reliable program such as hondata. Again, just my opinion.

The added Ethanol content in e85 will eat through soft fuel lines in the LONG run (talking 8-10 years), e85 is 85% Ethanol where as normal gasoline contains 15% max (hence the e85 name). E85 is roughly 108 octane, and lately people have been having problems with inconsistency with e85 fuels in their vehicles causing detonation from what i've been hearing/reading.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Also from what Ive heard, you cant leave E85 in your gas tank for too long. I believe that due to the extra ethanol in it, the gas will absorb and retain more water.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When was the last time you saw alcohol absorb water?

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i heard the same too about not letting it sit too long. but i wouldnt let it sit for too long anyways so that wouldnt be a problem. why would you not be able to tune it wityh a vafc?