Civic OVERHEATING!!!

bucdenny

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have 94 Civic that is overheating on idle. i don't have AC so I don't think that is a problem. I have GSR Radiator, new thermostat, new thermal switch, new relays and fan turns on directly on battery. THe problem is fan does not come on during idle or when the car gets hot. Overheats when im in traffic or when the car is idling. What can be the problem?

jdmegcoupe

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could be a possible bad water pump or a head gasket that is leaking or blown

bucdenny

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jdmegcoupe said:
Could be a possible bad water pump or a head gasket that is leaking or blown
Water pump was replaced like when I changed the timing belt earlier this year. How can you tell if I have a blown or leaking head gasket. I don't see any oil though.

barbie73127

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check the tempature sensor, my car used to do that

scottyfordy

Mopar Muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your relay sensor. If you blew a headgasket from overheating your oil will be milky and your coolant brown. Your exhaust will also be white.

bucdenny

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
scottyfordy said:
Check your relay sensor. If you blew a headgasket from overheating your oil will be milky and your coolant brown. Your exhaust will also be white.
Im pretty sure I don't have a blown head gasket. I put a new relay on there too. THe fan will come on with direct power to the battery but will not go on when the temp goes up. I changed many things already but still the same.

jdmegcoupe

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am a tech for Honda and u dont have to see it in the oil to have a blown head gasket. The temp sensor is located under the distributor. The radiator fan switch is located in the back of the block next to your oil presure switch and if it is not working then the fan will not come on, to test it just unplug the harness to the switch and then take a piece of wire or a paper clip and jump the 2 connecters on the harness if the fans come on then u know it is the fan switch that is bad if not then u have a short in the harness and have to track it down because u said the fans come on with straight power when hooked to the battery.

bucdenny

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jdmegcoupe said:
I am a tech for Honda and u dont have to see it in the oil to have a blown head gasket. The temp sensor is located under the distributor. The radiator fan switch is located in the back of the block next to your oil presure switch and if it is not working then the fan will not come on, to test it just unplug the harness to the switch and then take a piece of wire or a paper clip and jump the 2 connecters on the harness if the fans come on then u know it is the fan switch that is bad if not then u have a short in the harness and have to track it down because u said the fans come on with straight power when hooked to the battery.
thanks, i will just do that, test the wire and see if it comes on. hope this is the problem

barbie73127

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im talking about the sensor thats located by the lower radiator hose on the water neck

bucdenny

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TheCiv94 said:
You sir have a blown head gasket
how can you actually tell if the gasket is blown? no white smoke, clean oil, seems normal. i tested the 2 wires that goes to the thermal switch, works fine. Thermal switch can be bad or a blown head i am looking at.

TheCiv94

rawr?
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well from experience

I have a 94 civic also and a little over a year ago i was having the same problem as you. Car was overheating on idle blah blah blah. Went and got the thermostat checked out and replaced first. Car ran find for about a week then out of nowhere it started overheating again. One of the mechanics i take my car to said it could either be the water pump or the head gasket. Had the water pump checked out first... then had the head gasket checked. Sure enough it was the head gasket. Unfortunatly by that time my best bet was to go ahead and replace my engine b/c of the damage. My car never smoked during that nor did the oil seem dirty. However something that did happen was my coolent was always at the top of my overflow tank for some reason. Not sure if yours is doing that or not.

Hopefully im wrong tho cause i'd hate for you to have to go through the same crap i went through.

5thgen4dr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My 93 civ was over heating last week and my problem was my fan switch loctaed on the water neck/thermostat housing do what jdmcoupe said and you will find your problem, hopefully all you to have replace is the switch cause wiring is a b***h!

Mr. EeeKaY

Does ur mom know ur gay?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had that problem before. I think the head was cracked. all i know was that water was going into the cylinders and all that bad stuff. Man I paid $970 to fix her. The previous owners used and abused her. :( but yea, I think it should be the head gasket. Cuz for me, we couldn't figure it out. We put in a new radiator and thermostat. Flushed the coolant a few times. If I were you, I wouldn't drive her around until it's fixed. Trust me. i've been through this ish.

jdmegcoupe

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So u tested the two wires and and the fan turned on is that correct? If so U have to change the radiator fan switch that u unpluged the wires from that is your cause of the fans not coming on when they r supposed to but if u are still over heating after that and the fans come on then I would look in to getting a cooling system presure test if it is not holding pressure then u have to start eliminating items in the cooling system starting with a raditor flush and so for.
U can reach me on AIM if u have any questions.

FANATTIC8228

jdmegcoupe said:
:werd:

it's a sensor

bucdenny

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
FANATTIC8228 said:
:werd:

it's a sensor
Yay!!! I got it working now. my fan comes on when itz hot. I changed out again the switch and the temp sensor. finally works!!! thanks :lol: