civic vx: what does VTEC-E feel like when it kicks in?

dlb

i test drove a VX today but passed on it, mainly due to it needing a new clutch. however, i noticed when i would give it throttle it accelerated a little sluggishly at first, and then picked up after about 2 seconds. i just read now that the VTEC-E switchover point is 2500 rpm but i'm not sure what my rpm was when i noticed this sluggish/peppy thing. i initially thought it was likely a fuel delivery problem but in hindsight, i wonder if it was the VTEC-E kicking in. can anyone tell me if the car suddenly feels slightly more powerful when it switches over, or is the switch relatively smooth and unnoticeable?

thanks.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its not a turbo, its var. valve timing . you wont feel or hear anything much cause its a sohc. and no it does not make it any faster.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
VX = mpg not power. The bogging could have been a performance issue, but it could have just been the 76hp SOHC, which bumps to 77hp when VTEC-E kicks in. The VTEC-E is for "E"fficiency, not power.

dlb

i am aware that the VX is designed for fuel economy and not power. that's why i'm interested in it. so i don't expect to be wow'd by the power when the vtec-e kicks in, i'm just wondering if it's a noticeable switchover with this particular engine.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no dude, we have all said no lol vtec - e e stands for economy, economy means better mpg, not hp , you wont feel s*** in a vx, hell you wont feel s*** in a ex , you can in a SI but its nothing to write home to mom about.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no dude, we have all said no lol vtec - e e stands for economy, economy means better mpg, not hp , you wont feel s*** in a vx, hell you wont feel s*** in a ex , you can in a SI but its nothing to write home to mom about.
x2

emerican

Registered VIP
i cleaned this thread
i dont want to see anymore of that stuff guys this is the warning

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
vtec-e isnt a one stage situation

The 2500rpm crossover is when the second intake valve opens fully, prior to that it only opens enough to left fuel by, more or less a 12 valve mode. At 5500rpms or so the second solenoid engages, so that the intake valves use the larger cam lobe like typical vtec

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
During the twelve valve mode, the car does feel like it's bogging (speaking from my current experiences in my hx) Light acceleration smooths it out. It's not like it's fast at WOT anyway. When vtec kicks in, it simply feels like a normal economy car, before 2800rpm it feels like it's being towed backwards while accelerating.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had a bogging issue with my VX. Turned out being the o2 sensor was faulty even though a code was not being thrown. It would bog horribly under 2500, and literally take off afterwards.

New Honda 5 wire o2 sensor installed, car ran perfectly and I was back up to 45 mpgs. Just a thought. Key words there are New, Honda, and 5 wire ;) It is expensive.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5th gen ex and si :headscratch:

Umm...

dlb

well, despite some assurances here, i can now definitively say that yes, you can absolutely feel when vtec-e engages. i just bought a vx and tested out cruising up to 2500 rpm, at which point it begins accelerating harder, like i just gave it substantially more throttle.

it's not going to impress anyone or win any races, but my original question wasn't about that. it was simply 'what does vtec-e feel like when it kicks in,' and the answer that i now have from experience is 'like you just gave it substantially more throttle.'

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My car does that @ 2500rpms and it doesn't have vtec. You are mistaken on what you are feeling.

dlb

that's odd. if your car doesn't have vtec, why would it surge at a designated rpm?