civic vx: what does VTEC-E feel like when it kicks in?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Because that's where the sohc motors start to pick up power. The vtec-e crossover isnt even at 2500rpm btw.

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
2500 is when the sohc power band starts, vtec engagement is about 5500rps..

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The vtec-e does cross over earlier as it is designed for lower RPMs, but it is NOT anything you are going to feel. It was designed for saving fuel.

You are feeling the sohc starting to hit it's power band NOT the vtec-e. Sorry, it's not a B-series where there is a noticeable pull and change in tone.

Last edited:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
he is feeling the second intake valve open fully at 2500rpms, the larger cam profile is still engaged at 5500 rpms. Vtec-e and 3 stage do the same thing just two slightly different ways

dlb

The vtec-e does cross over earlier as it is designed for lower RPMs, but it is NOT anything you are going to feel. It was designed for saving fuel.
yes, vtec-e is designed to save fuel by operating with basically one intake valve at low rpm. however, at a designated rpm crossover point, the second intake valve will begin opening fully, resulting in increased power. i don't know how anyone can say a driver won't notice when 4 more intake valves start opening.

i've driven lots of sohc vehicles and getting into an engines power band is very different from what i am describing in the vx. when the rpm climb into an engines power band, it is a smooth transition. what i am describing with the vx is a very clear on/off, sudden engagement.

here's a link that explains vtec-e pretty clearly. not specific to the d15z1 but the same principles apply.

http://www.b18c5eg.com/VTEC/sohcvtece.html

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes, vtec-e is designed to save fuel by operating with basically one intake valve at low rpm. however, at a designated rpm crossover point, the second intake valve will begin opening fully, resulting in increased power. i don't know how anyone can say a driver won't notice when 4 more intake valves start opening.

i've driven lots of sohc vehicles and getting into an engines power band is very different from what i am describing in the vx. when the rpm climb into an engines power band, it is a smooth transition. what i am describing with the vx is a very clear on/off, sudden engagement.

here's a link that explains vtec-e pretty clearly. not specific to the d15z1 but the same principles apply.

http://www.b18c5eg.com/VTEC/sohcvtece.html
You are mistaking vtec-e from the d series to the b series. B-series is noticeable d isn't.

Last edited:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Every power band especially in stock form isn't smooth all the way through. If it was, there wouldn't be a need for tuning.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Every power band especially in stock form isn't smooth all the way through. If it was, there wouldn't be a need for tuning.
Amen to that.