Cleaning your drums...

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
Was curious to know what some really effective methods are for removing the rust from your drums and keeping it off (with proper maintenance). And other than just painting them (i.e. black). I was thinking maybe sanding them down with a wire brush and applying some type of Rustoleum spray on them but I'm not sure if that's the most effective way of doing it.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Posted from Clubcivic.com App for Android

... Sorry in advance. I should have maybe posted this in the How-To. Noted for next time that future questions, if not found on the forum at all already, will be posted in the How-To >.<

Posted from Clubcivic.com App for Android

Last edited by a moderator:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not sure on your question but this is the correct section for your thread. How To's is more for to step by step process of how to do something.

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
OK. Wasn't too sure cause I saw a post someone put in one of these threads in the section and they were yelled at and til to post in the How-To section.

Basically, my question is what is the best way to clean the rust off of my drums? Should I clean them with a wire brush or use a chemical?

minja lover

del slo
5+ Year Member
I would say a wire brush then maybe if you have rust spots after sand it down a bit then re spray it.

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
Excellent. I'll go ahead here probably this next week and pull the tires off, paint my calipers black, and use a wire brush to try and polish up the drums. I only have the stock rims on this Civic, so they aren't anything fancy at the moment (sold my last ones with my other civic) but it's still nice to get them cleaned up and maintain them until I make the purchase.

I detail cars for work, both interior and exterior, on a professional level... But we don't mess with the drums. Just wasnt sure if wire brush was safe on em. Isn't there like a rustoleum paint that can be sprayed over them afterwards to help protect them more from future rust development?

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When you take the rear wheels off, you can tap the shoe cover with a rubber hammer and it slides right off the spokes. Hose your shoes down with brake cleaner and cover hem with a rag, should be easier to detail the cover with it off.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're just planning on cleaning the outside, without removing the cover, then a wire brush will be fine. I wire wheel on a drill would work even better. As far as paint goes, any properly done paint job will prevent future rust as long as all the existing rust is removed. i believe Rustoleum or some other company makes a spray paint that turns surface rust into a paint ready surface. There are also numerous other forms of rust prevention like POR 15 too.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eh, but while you got em off, right?............(that's what she said.)

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
Love the feedback guys. Thanks =)

I happen to have a drill and wire brush that can work on it so I'll be using that. And you know, I've never taken them off (only the tires themselves) but I like to go hands on and learn things so it would be a good time to go ahead and do a full clean on them with the wire brush, use some brake cleaner on em, get em all nice and clean with all the rust removed, and spray a couple good solid layers of Rustoleum on the face for that added protection... Now that I know it would be fine. Probably wont do black seems as though I got a black civic and will have new black rims soon while having black calipers. Don't want it to look ricey or odd... Just dark and clean-cut.

Again, greatly appreciate the positive feedback on here. It's been a very helpful forum and looking forward to doing some good write-ups while reading over tons more myself. Cheers. =)

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
Agreed. I think the look will be pretty good in the long run. After all the little details and eventual (and much obvious) engine/tranny swap. =D Keeping it theme based.. Black with all interior laccent lighting/gage cluster/climate control lighting blue.