Clearing Up Info about the Type R

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Okay, so upon seeing a newer member on this forum claim to have a car that doesn't exsist, I figured it was time to make this post...

Basically this posts is for any info you might have on the 6th generation Civic Type R. Colors, production numbers, specs, anything.

First off, the 6th gen Civic Type R was first introduced to Japan on August 22, 1997 as 1997 models (Japan differs in that they don't call cars released in late 1996, 1997s...). So basically they were first released in what most Americans would know to be the 1998 model year. They were produced until September of 2001 as 2000 models.

Though newer generations have become available to other countries, for this generation the Civic Type R was exclusive to Japan. There are many Type Rs in Europe, but they were all imported over. As I understand it, the standards in Europe (crash, emissions) are more allowing for Japanese market vehicles than the standards in the US are.

Chassis Codes
Code:
Chassis Code	Origin	Model			Gen	Years		Engine Size	Engine Code
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EK9		JDM	Civic Type R hatch	6th	'97-'00		1.6L		B16B
Engine Codes and Specs
Code:
Code    Specs                           Displ.  Year(s) Make     Model                    Origin      HP         Torque     CR         Chassis  Tranny     ODB   ECU
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B16B    1.6L 16V DOHC VTEC PGM-FI        1595   '97-'98 Honda    Civic Type-R               JDM        185@8200   118@7500   10.8:1     EK9      S4C       ---   ---
B16B    1.6L 16V DOHC VTEC PGM-FI        1595   '99-'00 Honda    Civic Type-R               JDM        185@8200   118@7500   10.8:1     EK9      S4C       OBD2B   PCT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Trims
There are different varieties of the Type R. This includes the following:

'97-'98 Type R
'97-'00 Type R Race (aka Type R N1)
'99-'00 Type Rx

http://www.j-garage.com/honda/civic/ek9.htm
EK9 Honda Civic Type-R 1997.08 - 2001.09

1997.08 : Following in the steps of the NSX type-R and the Integra type-R, the Honda Civic type R was introduced in Japan on August 22. The Honda Civic type R is powered by an exclusively developed 1.6 liter DOHC VTEC B16B engine that makes 185 horsepower at 8200rpm.
The lightweight B16B engine features new valve system allowing higher engine speeds, reduced engine friction, improved breathing, and increased compression ratio. Main features of handling include a increased body rigidity, reduced weight, hard tuned suspension, torque-sensitive helical LSD,sports tuned ABS, and Potenza RE010 tires. Also, the Civic type R is equipped with aero parts, exclusive 5-lug alloy wheels, red RECARO seats, a MOMO SRS 368mm steering wheel, a titanium shift knob, and carbon type meter panel.

1998.09 : There were mild face lift including front and rear design, and center panel design.

1999.12 : The Honda Civic type-Rx was added to the Civic type-R series. The Honda Civic type-Rx features a CD player, body colored retractable electric door mirrors, power window, manual air conditioning, keyless entry unlock system, aluminum sports pedals, and a carbon type center panel.
Trim option differences
CTR N1:
No Radio
No Power Steering
No A/C
Gray Interior
Gray Carpet
No Recaros (base seats instead)
No black suede rears
Non-SRS steering wheel
No passenger airbag
Manual doors (locks + windows)
Rubber Pedals
Black Center Console
Gray door panel inlays
Manual folding manual mirrors
Lightened crank pulley
A/C and P/S pulleys shaved and reballanced.

CTR:
AM/FM Radio Optional
Power Steering
Black Interior
Red Carpet
No A/C
Recaro SRD Red Seats
Black Suede rear seats
SRS Steeing Wheel
No passenger airbag
Manual doors (locks + windows)
Rubber Pedals
Black Center Console
Red door panel inlays
Manual folding power mirrors

CTRx:
AM/FM/CD Radio
Power Steering
Black Interior
Red Carpet
A/C
Recaro SRD Red Seats
Black Suede rear seats
SRS Steeing Wheel
Passenger Airbag
Power doors (locks + windows)
Aluminum Sport pedals
Carbon-look Center Console
Red door panel inlays
Power folding power mirrors
Bronze tinted Glass
Keyless entry

Other models, such as the fourth generation Integra, also have Type R Race trims too.

Colors

Championship White (NH-0)
Vogue Silver Metallic (NH-583M)
Sunlight / Sunshine Yellow (Y-56 - Earlier Years' Name)
Phoenix Yellow (Y-56 - Year '00's Name)
Flamenco / Starlight Black Pearl (NH-592P)

Resources
Honda.co.jp: Honda Civic Type R
Photos of CTR Race
Photos of CTRx
Photos of CTRx
CivicEK9.com
Video of CTRx

madhopz88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good info. i havent seen too many silver or black ones. only white really. and a bunch of posers with type r stickers on the side rockin the d16 motor:lol:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good info Amy :thumbs up. Sticky worthy

99EBPSi

RIP - MH - 11/06/06
That yellow hatch is ugly. Yellow hatches are teh gay right Jezek?

lol j/k I want a blue or yellow hatch bad :(

cole

holding monster
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have seen one authentic vsm ctr in my life one day driving home from work,, talked to the guy ectect also whatr about the n1 spec ctr, came with the base modle interior, and steelies

96 EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Great info...NOFX is always giving knowledge and not bashing

PNOYEKB18C

5+ Year Member
i seen white ctr once in Fremont California, It was amazing site, rhd drive too. I was glued to the hatch and always wanted to own one ever since

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yellow hatch is hot. except for the white-rims... ew.

mint

Club Civic Sanny!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Great post here amy. Hmm im been researching into this for a few months now as its next on the plans.

what do i know about it hmm.. lol. Its best recorded 0-60 was 5.7 Seconds.
Code:
The EK9 is powered by an exclusively developed 1.6-litre DOHC VTEC B16B engine that makes near on 185 horsepower at 8200rpm. 
The lightweight B16B engine featured a new valve system that allowed higher engine speeds, 
reduced engine friction, improved breathing, and increased compression ratio.

Handling-wise the EK9 included an increased body rigidity, 
reduced weight, hard tuned suspension, torque-sensitive helical LSD, 
sports tuned ABS, and Potenza RE010 tyres. 
Also, the EK9 is equipped with 5-lug alloy wheels, red RECARO seats, 
a MOMO SRS 368mm steering wheel, a titanium gear knob, and carbon type panel.
Code:
Technical Specification

Engine

Capacity & Type:
    1.6-litre (1595cc) DOHC VTEC IL4

Maximum Power:
    185ps (183bhp) @ 8200rpm

Maximum Torque:
    160Nm @ 7500rpm 

Performance

Maximum Speed:
    -

Acceleration:
    - 

Transmission

Type:
    Front wheel drive (with LSD), 5-speed manual transmission 

Brakes

Front:
    Ventilated disc

Rear:
    Solid disc

About:
    ABS 

Wheels & Tyres

Wheels:
    15-inch 5-lug alloys

Tyres:
    Bridgestone Potenza RE010 (195/55 R15) 

Dimensions & Weight

Length / Width / Height:
    4180mm / 1695mm / 1360mm

Wheelbase:
    2620mm

Weight:
    1090kg

Minimum Ground Clearance:
    135mm

Also make note the EK9 was never released outside japan.Period. it has been imported from country to country but Honda never officially released it in any other country. This is Honda JDM.

Also there is an EK9 Owners club (i think its UK tho) Its small but got some pics+info.
http://ek9.cc/forum/

Also there was a 'Limited Edition' spec model out in 99-00 called the 'RX'. It came with the following..
Code:
CD player,keyless entry unlock system, aluminum sports pedals.
Also a bit more info i collected
Code:
9/1998 : There were mild face lift including front and rear design, and center panel design.

12/1999 : Civic type-Rx was added to the Civic type-R series. The Civic type-Rx features a CD player, body coloured retractable electric door mirrors, power window, manual air conditioning, keyless entry unlock system, aluminum sports pedals, and a carbon type center panel
And for those interested...heres the ek9 im intending on getting.
http://www.fastjapcars.com/FS-Album-yellow_ek9.htm

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm pretty sure that all CTRs were built in Japan, but some were sold in select European countries.

99EBPSi

RIP - MH - 11/06/06
NOFX said:
I'm pretty sure that all CTRs were built in Japan, but some were sold in select European countries.
Just for that year or? Cause we got USDM CTR's in production here... Mariatta Ohio..

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99EBPSi said:
Just for that year or? Cause we got USDM CTR's in production here... Mariatta Ohio..
do you meant the 8th gen ctr? the 8th gen ctr is not going to be usdm , you must be confused.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
99EBPSi said:
Nope! JDM does not mean just down mystreet. Japan only my friend.

99EBPSi

RIP - MH - 11/06/06
I was talking about intergras sorry, not sure if civics are made here also, but they made integras here but just USDM, lhd etc. sorry

99EBPSi

RIP - MH - 11/06/06
JiuJitsu_greg said:
Nope! JDM does not mean just down mystreet. Japan only my friend.
lol I know definition of it :P

JDM = Japan Domestic Market, or also misconceived as Japanese Direct Market

and USDM would be United States Domestic Market =)

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
99EBPSi said:
No we don't... I've never heard of any CTRs sold or planned to be sold (by Honda) in the US. I won't hold my breath about the 8th gens... but either way, this is in 6th gen.
99EBPSi said:
I was talking about intergras sorry, not sure if civics are made here also, but they made integras here but just USDM, lhd etc. sorry
CTR = Civic Type R
ITR = Integra Type R
;)

I'll try to get some more info posted up here soon. Been working a lot and just got news today that I'm being forced into another position that I don't really want.

99EBPSi

RIP - MH - 11/06/06
Yea my bad I knew ITR's were manufactured here, I just was unsure about CTR's, and btw I wasn't talking about 8th gens, I was talking about Integras, however if I was talking bout civics, I wouldve meant the 6th gen hatchies.