Clicking Clutch pedal-Master Cylinder?

MoMoney

5+ Year Member
Hi All,

I've read a few posts around noting many people's civics (7th and 8th gen) develop an annoying clicking sound when the clutch pedal is depressed or released. Mine personally makes the click sometimes while depressing and others while releasing but none the less it's a single crisp click you can both hear and feel with your foot.
Performance seems unchanged but I'd like to eliminate the annoyance.

Any one else with this issue? Is it simply a need to lube the clevis or spring? Perhaps it's more involved like a new master cylinder. I see the Honda parts catalog does now offer a superseded cylinder. (Perhaps the originals were all problematic.)

Any help on both remedy would be much appreciated! Thanks all!

2001 Honda Civic EX coupe 5MT

skate2586

5+ Year Member
yeah i got the same problem on my 01

Renzo21

Nice Bowl of D17 Soup...
5+ Year Member
take off the driver side foot panel which is underneth the steering wheel and look where the clutch line leaves the cargo area from the pedal. Depress the pedal when you see it. Get some lube (power lube, or some kind of spray lube), spray where it looks like its metal to medal and tada! The click should be gone!

MoMoney

5+ Year Member
I'll re-lube and see

Good to hear that others have the same issue. It's a little reassuring to know that I don't have anything unique here. Good call on the lube Renzo. I had the whole pedal out last fall and I greased up the pivot and the master cylinder clevis which if I recall did help for a while. I'll take the pedal down again tomorrow, re-lube and let you guys know if I see an improvement.

Thanks all!

Renzo21

Nice Bowl of D17 Soup...
5+ Year Member
you don't have to take the pedal apart. Just spray it in there and it should work...

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had the problem... its actually a service issue for honda... theres a TSB on it. look it up

MoMoney

5+ Year Member
Fully lubed

Hey all,

Yeah I could have just sprayed some silicone up there but I wanted to be certain...plus it's only two nuts, one bolt and two quick electrical connections. I dropped the whole pedal out and greased the spring guides, the spring clip, the main pivot, the MC clevice, pedal bushing, and pin. Everything that moves got a coating of lube.
Then when putting the thing back together I tried my best to make sure the MC and pedal were properly aligned as I torqued down the two nuts. Then once tight, I sunk the screw up above.

As of today, no squeaks, clicks, or pops. So far so good. Question is for how long?

Snake, I see there is not but one but like 5 TSBs on it. I'll have to go to the library to access AllData to find out the corrective action unless you already know?? Thanks again all for the help!

89y49rexsi

twinke team bio
5+ Year Member
it sounds kinda like my throw out bearing problem i keep breaking the tabs off and it pisses me off ive been throug 4 of them in the past year augh i could totally stand a clicking sound compared to every few months dropping the tranny and replacing the throw out bearing augh so annoying

jdmdv

5+ Year Member
i have the same issue with my 02 civic...it only happens from 1st - 3 gear and then it stops....i dunno if its my slave cylinder or what...although my slave cylinder broke once on me....and sometime the click would be so loud that it sounds like something is falling off.....