"Clicking" noise from '94 Civic motor. Not quite a knock though.

mixtape86

Hey guys, I've owned my Civic for maybe 50 miles and I love it already. A little on the slow side ha, but definitely one of the best cars I've owned as far as MPG goes.

I instantly changed the spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and air filter shortly after my friend drove it home for me. We also Seafoamed it since it's just under 200k.

Today it was finally nice out, so I took the car for a ride with the windows down and noticed a clicking sound coming from the engine bay. My friend says his Civic makes the same noise, but just not as loud. I'm not sure if the car had the clicking before I bought it, but I definitely noticed it today with the windows down. Should I be concerned?

Here's a Youtube video I made from my phone. Somehow the video got out of sync from the audio, but you can still hear the audio fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd18wPxbfT4

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like a normal honda to me. Sounds just like any honda my family has owned.

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Take the heat shield off the exhaust manifold and check for a crack or bad gasket......Sounds about normal though...

PhatAzzCracka

5+ Year Member
lol it's normal man... just a little valve tap.. my car does it too. nothing to worry about

mixtape86

Thank you guys. I guess I have my upcoming weekend planned lol.

Can we also have vid of said 94 z28?
Unfortunately I don't have any vids of the z28. She's also off the road at the moment due to an oil leak and failing opti. That's primarily why I got the Honda for a daily driver. I do have a photo though:

:cool:

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could be a bad distributor cap/rotor, valves, throwout bearing on your clutch, exhaust leak.... the list is long, start with these spots see what you turn up. to make it easy do it in this order
1. clutch
2. rotor/cap
3.exhaust
4 valves