clicking noise when stepping on the breaks?

ekprimal

So just the other day i've noticed a clicking noise coming from only the front left wheel when I step on the breaks. It's like a perfect clicking noise/flapping noise. I ONLY hear it when i'm going on a hill or a slight decline. When I go up hill and press on the breaks I dont hear it.

I also noticed that I only hear it when im going literally 5mph or anything below 10mph. its like a really mellow kind of clicking noise.

I had my buddy that owns his own auto shop and he took off both from wheels and checked everything out. I even looked in with him. There is still a ton of padding left and the rotors seemed to be in decent shape. I was told you could run your nail across the surface of the rotor and if you feel bumpyness then it needs replacing etc. But from what we saw they looked fine.

Any thoughts?

He told me to just be a bit more rough on the breaks, it could possibly be something minor like something caught in there or something. But its been a full day and still no change?

Thanks CC!!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I assume you checked the CV over?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
don't they usually only make noise when making turns?
No. Its a constant moving part of the vehicle. Not just when turning.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
hmmmm....you think it could possibly be the CV joint?
Hence the reason I asked. I'm still miffed you had both tires off, inspected the brakes, and didn't bother to look at the other side of the rotor. It's attached! Get the front end off the ground, crank the wheels full left and right, and see what you can find. Might be nothing, might be everything.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My girlfriends car had a similar problem, i ended up pulling the pads out and cleaning with brake cleaner and it went away, i thought it was the axle at first to because it would make wubb wubb wubb sound while applying the brakes but only at 20mph or slower.

On a side note if the outer cv joint goes bad it clicks and pops when turning but if the inner cv joint goes bad it vibrates and shakes the car at certain speeds like an off balance tired would feel like

ekprimal

thanks for the replies guys. the noise has begun to sound more like a sCREAKING door. instead of the click...click...click...its now a suddle creak....creak...creak...

if it is my axle how dangerous is it to be driving? i fear my axles going to snap or something and my tire go flying off the car lol

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the axles don't hold the wheels on.

an easy way to check is to just go under your car if you have it on proper jack stands or reach under your car and feel around the cv joints to see if the rubber boot is torn/ripped/cracked.

if one breaks while you're driving you'll lose all drive power and eventually come to a stop and be stranded wherever that happens to be at. it could however do damage to other parts of the vehicle when/if it breaks.