cloudy headlite lens

bonnie17

Is there a good product out there to clean the cloudy headlite lens this car is a98 hx civic no does the inside have to be cleaned also or just the outside thanks . does anybody recommend different ones ?

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Turtle wax headlight restore kit. Its a really good product. It comes with everything u need

Civv

Turtle wax headlight restore kit. Its a really good product. It comes with everything u need
+1, bought the kit for 10 bucks at the local auto parts store (AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts) and didn't even have to use the sandpaper scrubbing pad. My headlights are practically new. Comes with big bottles of solution that will last you a long while. Either go with this, or Plast-X. I reccomend both. And an old sock or a old shirt / rag does the scrubbing job perfectly. ;)

oh btw, the oxidation is on the outside, you don't need to remove the lights.

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The 3M restore kit works miracles if you have a drill. Brought old, worn, hazed EKs back from the dead and look brand new. A problem you're going to run into with a lot of products out there such a Meguiars (who I am a fan of) is that the haze will return after time. The 3M actually sands out the surface and removes the cause of the haze/yellowing.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there's a couple other ways that nobody has said. you can wet sand it with 1500-2000 grit and run a buffer over it with some 8000grit compound. or you can also wet sand it and then spray clear over them....it works better if you have a paint gun but if you buy some good 2k rattle can clear it'll come out just as nice. i work at maaco and we've done this countless times, it holds up great and nobody has ever complained.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i tried a few techqniues, and the fact is, NOTHING works. well at least for a long term solution. your better off buying new headlights because, even if you clean them up, in a month or two, it will come back again....

and toothpaste is only works for less than a month.

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i tried a few techqniues, and the fact is, NOTHING works. well at least for a long term solution. your better off buying new headlights because, even if you clean them up, in a month or two, it will come back again....

and toothpaste is only works for less than a month.
I guess it depends on how bad your headlights were to begin with. I used Plast-X on mine and it worked great. A little yellowing does come back after 2 or 3 months, but nothing that can't be taken out with another light buff. I find that waxing the plastic lenses after cleaning them helps preserve them for a little while longer too.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
I've always used 2000 grit sand paper to wet sand and then a rubbing compound with a terry cloth towel. Just make sure you remove the lights or tape your fenders/hood/bumper around your lights.