cluster swap problem

sloenuf

5+ Year Member
i just got my parts cluster yesterday. just another 96-00 cluster, auto with tach. put it in worked perfect. lighting was great. now today i pulled it and swapped the tach over to my original one and swapped the lights too. now once i re installed it and turned the lights on the big light in between the tach and speedo does not light up but its making contact to light up the overhead lights? hooked the other cluster up same problem, swapped bulbs and everything. anyone had this problem? sorry for the rambling, tried to make it as short as possible

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's most likely a broken/bad contact in the plug in the dash connector; if I'm reading your post right that is. Check to make sure that the wires are not pulled, kinked, or frayed.

sloenuf

5+ Year Member
that sounds somewhat right because on the old cluster i had that problem but once i tapped the dash it would light up but never lit up over head. put the auto cluster in and never had a problem with the big bulb or overhead lights. so i just swapped those over to the old cluster and now the overhead comes on just not the big bulb. just confusing me, its making contact other wise the overhead wouldnt come on right?