cluster swap was a no good

jdmd16ej8

Im So Daily ED
5+ Year Member
ight i have posted something like this before where i wanted to swap clusters, see my 1990 civic dint come with a cluster with a tach, and i heard its just a plug in play if you get one from a 90-91, well i bought one of each a 90 and a 91, and they dint work, so im now thinking i have to rewire them? which im really not tryin to do, so whats the deal pickles, what do you guys think is wrong here?

99HondaEx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got my cluster from a honda crx works great..

jdmd16ej8

Im So Daily ED
5+ Year Member
yea i just checked it again says 1990, should i just hook up one of those autopart store 5 inch tachs? and if i do go that route how would i go about hooking that up? thanks for the help guys

JDMefHATCH7

5+ Year Member
ive had the same problem with clusters with my 90 STD i bought like 2 and none of them worked. i didnt try rewiring and just sold them and till this day idk why that happened...i did alota research and some say that STD arent wired up for tach in the cluster...some say that its 88-89 & 90-91 compatibility...some say CRX and HBs wont work on each other...i dont know dont even care anymore cause i got me a DX lol but for you...i'd just try finding different clusters trust me theres alot of EFs clusters...just try buying different ones and trying them on but dont overpay...
i wouldnt to the cheap discount 5" tach looks ricery...

but if you do its 4 wires to wire it up
green---ECU
white---im not too sure
red---ofcoarse power
black---ground

gl

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive had the same problem with clusters with my 90 STD i bought like 2 and none of them worked. i didnt try rewiring and just sold them and till this day idk why that happened...i did alota research and some say that STD arent wired up for tach in the cluster...some say that its 88-89 & 90-91 compatibility...some say CRX and HBs wont work on each other...i dont know dont even care anymore cause i got me a DX lol but for you...i'd just try finding different clusters trust me theres alot of EFs clusters...just try buying different ones and trying them on but dont overpay...
i wouldnt to the cheap discount 5" tach looks ricery...

but if you do its 4 wires to wire it up
green---ECU
white---im not too sure
red---ofcoarse power
black---ground

gl
EVERY CIVIC EVER IS WIRED FOR A TACH!!! The crx cluster is the SAME exact on as in the hatchback!! you guys probably got jipped and were sold some that didn't work in 90-91's. I've used tons of different 4th gen clusters and all of them have worked. Idk what is wrong with your car.

19ef90

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ight i have posted something like this before where i wanted to swap clusters, see my 1990 civic dint come with a cluster with a tach, and i heard its just a plug in play if you get one from a 90-91, well i bought one of each a 90 and a 91, and they dint work, so im now thinking i have to rewire them? which im really not tryin to do, so whats the deal pickles, what do you guys think is wrong here?
if your car dident come with one, i assume you have the DX right?
the cluster with the tach comes out of the SI.
im pretty sure you need the SI ecu for this to work properly.

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It really should be plug and play... It's all there, just the gauges would be different and the "wiring" on the back will obviously be different. Was it just the tach that wasn't working or the whole gauge? You might of forgot to put a plug in. You could get real tricky and put your stock speedo in another cluster and hook it up that way. That way you keep your mileage :thumbs up

jdmd16ej8

Im So Daily ED
5+ Year Member
yea when i turn the lights on the gauge doesnt light up not one bulb, and turning the lights on makes the oil light come on, and when i turn my highs on my check light some other light comes on, only thing that works fine is the speedo lol, MY LIFE this is frustrating,

JDMefHATCH7

5+ Year Member
EVERY CIVIC EVER IS WIRED FOR A TACH!!! The crx cluster is the SAME exact on as in the hatchback!! you guys probably got jipped and were sold some that didn't work in 90-91's. I've used tons of different 4th gen clusters and all of them have worked. Idk what is wrong with your car.

like i said...was what i heard(not my own opinion)
and i didnt really get 'jipped' since i sold both of them and even made $10 extra 8D
w.e f**k an STD i got me a DX
:D

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
like i said...was what i heard(not my own opinion)
and i didnt really get 'jipped' since i sold both of them and even made $10 extra 8D
w.e f**k an STD i got me a DX
:D
It's not a myth its a fact, anyone can call Honda if they don't believe me.