cluster worn out?

EKFour

Hey CC, I recently got a new cluster for my 98 dx inorder to get a tach but the "new" cluster has 260k on it. My question is does the cluster "wear out" over time? Because I'm afraid that the miles on it would effect it's functionality. Thanks

RonJ

Banned
You don't know whether the speedometer in the new cluster is swapped or original.

Just swap your original speedometer into the new one so that the odometer reading matches your car/engine.

EKFour

Oh yeah I did that to keep the miles but I was just wondering whether the other components had a life span type of deal where they start to deteriorate. I was thinking they didn't because the gauges weren't hard working components , am I right?

RonJ

Banned
Oh yeah I did that to keep the miles but I was just wondering whether the other components had a life span type of deal where they start to deteriorate. I was thinking they didn't because the gauges weren't hard working components , am I right?
I don't think mileage is an issue for a cluster. It should be okay. I'd judge a cluster more on age and condition.

EKFour

Okay thanks a ton Ron! This gives me ease of mind now! =) couldn't find any info on this before