Clutch Burnout

Micah_Dude

I drive a 2000 Civic Ex w/ a manual transmission. Recently I've noticed that it has become hard to shift into 1st gear. The stick doesn't seem to want to go all the way forward and it won't pop into gear. I took it into the shop, and the mechanic said the clutch is burned out. He said it would be $800 to replace. I've seen clutch kits online for as low as $200 online. Is this all I will need to fix a burnt out clutch myself, or are other parts required? Do the shifting problems I'm having even sound like symptoms of a burnt out clutch?

AustinTRains

It could very well be the clutch .. Or maybe you should try bleeding the clutch lines . Have some one hit down you clutch and see if your slave cylinders moves a significant amount . If not bleed it ! Almost the same as brakes there should be a 8 mm nipple on the end of the slave cylinder .

504scene

^ what he said and for 800 bucks to replace a clutch....he better spring for a stage 3 ACT+flywheel ,replace my master and slave cylinder,newstainless hoses and flush my tranny with Royal Purple......else wise he gon get the 5 finger meet n greet

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$800 for a shop to do it doesn't sound off to me. Think about it. $200 for parts and $100/hr for labor. $800 puts them at ~6 hours to do the job. Sounds reasonable to me. Do it yourself if that is too much. Going to take you longer than 6 hours and you are going to need tools and supplies to do it.

It actually sounds cheap to me to have someone else do the grunt work. Hell, the last clutch job we did at work (Porsche) the guy's bill ran well over $5000!

504scene

$800 for a shop to do it doesn't sound off to me. Think about it. $200 for parts and $100/hr for labor. $800 puts them at ~6 hours to do the job. Sounds reasonable to me. Do it yourself if that is too much. Going to take you longer than 6 hours and you are going to need tools and supplies to do it.

It actually sounds cheap to me to have someone else do the grunt work. Hell, the last clutch job we did at work (Porsche) the guy's bill ran well over $5000!
FFFFFFFFFFFF THAT!!!!!!!! :shock: who ever charging 100hr to do my car work will get laughed at..its a dam civic not a porche we talkin a few hundred k difference here... ive don clutch swaps ez in like 3-4 hours read a dam manual and do it your self for all that......there are very few repairs im willing to fork out that kinda guap for... i got a engine rebuild for that much

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
FFFFFFFFFFFF THAT!!!!!!!! :shock: who ever charging 100hr to do my car work will get laughed at..its a dam civic not a porche we talkin a few hundred k difference here... ive don clutch swaps ez in like 3-4 hours read a dam manual and do it your self for all that......there are very few repairs im willing to fork out that kinda guap for... i got a engine rebuild for that much
We charge $140/hr @ Porsche.

$100/hr is a VERY common charge now a days. Call around. Hell it was $80-100/hr 12 years ago when I got into the car/shop business.

You do understand there are shop costs, rent, employee payroll, insurance, tools, supplies, etc to run a shop. They don't work for free and shouldn't have too.

Even with what you are saying you are looking at ~$600 before tax. Think about it.

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah that sounds like a pretty good price for a clutch job from a shop. I work at nissan and were $81/hr but its a pretty small town

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ya i had my clutch done a year and a half ago with a stage one clutch and a heavier than stock pressure plate and it was like 750. next time i might try the job myself

Micah_Dude

^ what he said and for 800 bucks to replace a clutch....he better spring for a stage 3 ACT+flywheel ,replace my master and slave cylinder,newstainless hoses and flush my tranny with Royal Purple......else wise he gon get the 5 finger meet n greet
I actually saw the clutch kit he wanted to use. It had 10k miles on it and was an OEM replacement part. He wanted to sell it to me for $300, but I know I could get a new one for under $200.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good, affordable clutch kit?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I bought an Exedy Stage 2 Ceram-metalic for my turbo DC2, and since I worked too damn much to have time to do it, brought it to our local tuner shop. They charged me $200 for install, I dropped it off at 10:00am, it was ready for pickup at 11:30. Those guys do NOT f**k around.

$800 is a bit high. I would assume $600 including the clutch.

504scene

I bought an Exedy Stage 2 Ceram-metalic for my turbo DC2, and since I worked too damn much to have time to do it, brought it to our local tuner shop. They charged me $200 for install, I dropped it off at 10:00am, it was ready for pickup at 11:30. Those guys do NOT f*** around.

$800 is a bit high. I would assume $600 including the clutch.
THATS WHAT THE HELL IM TALKING BOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:party2:

DuckIt

Exedy oe replacements are in your price range. Shop I work at charges 88 an hr fyi. 800 isn't a bad price.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Trekk

Registered VIP
The shop I work at is $120 an hour labor. 800 sounds fair for a new part installed with a warranty. Keep in mind the guy doing the work is only getting a small fraction of the money, maybe $100-$150 out of the work. The rest goes to the shop. If you go to a smaller private shop you might find someone willing to do it for less.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get a jack and some stands and do it yourself. It will be a fun experience and you will appreciate your car more. I recommend going with a Exedy Stage 1, its affordable and can take a little abuse, and still has stock pedal feel. you can usually find one for ~$250. I've also seen them on ebay w/ a lightened flywheel for ~$250

504scene

Get a jack and some stands and do it yourself. It will be a fun experience and you will appreciate your car more. I recommend going with a Exedy Stage 1, its affordable and can take a little abuse, and still has stock pedal feel. you can usually find one for ~$250. I've also seen them on ebay w/ a lightened flywheel for ~$250
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how good are you with cars is the question

also to throw it out there, i work at Ford and we charge about $85ish an hour

Micah_Dude

I think I'm going to buy an Exedy OEM replacement clutch and call a few shops til I find a good price for the install. The kit is only $130 and my car is a daily driver. The only parts that aren't stock are the exhaust system, header, and short ram intake.

504scene

I think I'm going to buy an Exedy OEM replacement clutch and call a few shops til I find a good price for the install. The kit is only $130 and my car is a daily driver. The only parts that aren't stock are the exhaust system, header, and short ram intake.
dude really its not that bad of a DIY at all just to give u an idea when i first bout my 98 ex 2nd gear was gone dude killed it got a another tranny for 120 with 90k miles on it did a day of research and 2 days after (dam near a whole day fighting one hell of a T bracket bolt and i had a new tranny with stage 1 act clutch (I HAD NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF ANYTHING INVOLVED WITH THAT UNTIL THAT DAY )and i promise you, you'll look at that car like u just got don banging her good!!!!! YOU SHOUD DIY!!!!!!!

THE EXPERIENCE YOU GAIN WILL SAVE YOU MONEY!!!!!!!!! MONEY MONEY!!!!! AND A CHANCE TO MOVE UP TO OTHER ASPECTS OF BUILDING YOUR CAR THEN YOU CAN SHOW WHAT YOU LEARN TO OTHERS WHO WOULD WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!