Clutch grinds in third gear

LiveKing

5+ Year Member
When I bought my 1990 honda civic, the previous owner told me they tried a few things to fix it, but the clutch grinds every time I put it into third. It only does this for third and sometimes for reverse. Anyone know the problem?

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Synchros. Damn near everyone has experienced this.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Synchros. Damn near everyone has experienced this.
everyone but me...... at least yet. :lol: I just think it's because I don't drive it like a dumbass. I know it's not a race car so I don't treat it like one. I do have fun on occasion tho of course, just not all the time.

find another tranny or have it fixed if you can't do it yourself. :what:

bensmoore

5+ Year Member
Rebuilt my ex trans with carbon coated synchro's.:D Works very well

VTEC_Civic97

5+ Year Member
yea imfamous prob with honda tranny's more specifically their syncros, but, you can get another tranny or you can put in some syncromesh in there to get a lil more life out of it...i hear that stuff works pretty good

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
mine as well flush your tranny fluid and refill it with HONDA tranny fluid. see if it makes any difference, if not then buy a new transmission

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mines had a grind into third for over 2 years now, hasnt progressed at all so im livin with it lol.

honda22

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just put it into first b4 reverse and it doesnt grind if u do that. I dont know why lol someone told me to do taht lol. And who needs 3rd gear? 2nd to 4th ftw

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine as well flush your tranny fluid and refill it with HONDA tranny fluid. see if it makes any difference, if not then buy a new transmission
Either the new Honda "Green Label" or Amsoil transmission fluid. Both are rated about dead even, but I personally fixed my infamous "3rd gear grind" on my DC5 with the stuff and would swear by it. The swap is as easy as changing your oil and will make shifts like butter.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
everyone always says that....its usually bent shift forks before syncros
A bent fork would have the tranny grind every gear. He clearly said everytime he put it in to third.
So, syncro for sure.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you say so... ive searched it enough.
heard it from D series tranny guru

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not saying a bent fork couldn't be a possibility. Just not in this case.
are you 100% sure?
you sound like your pretty confident.

kinda hard to tell with out looking at it.

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
are you 100% sure?
you sound like your pretty confident.

kinda hard to tell with out looking at it.
Lets just say I've had plenty of tranny problems and them 2 being a few of them.