clutch has no backpressure

sbresani

5+ Year Member
Every time I start the car after a couple of hours of not using it, y press the clutch and it has no back pressure, therefore the gears dont engage. After I pump it several times it regains pressure and I can switch gears as smooth as always... I was wondering if my slave cylinder is bad or what else???? anybody has had the same problem or have a good idea whats going on??? Thanks in advance...

99SiTR

5+ Year Member
sounds like there could be air in your line might try bleeding the line before replacing anything. If it continues after the slave cylinder would be cheapest to replace first. Happened to me one time but pumping didnt fix it lol i had to replace the slave cylinder. Good luck

Pootie

i blow tires away!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like there could be air in your line might try bleeding the line before replacing anything. If it continues after the slave cylinder would be cheapest to replace first. Happened to me one time but pumping didnt fix it lol i had to replace the slave cylinder. Good luck
could also be the slave master cylinder..

a while back i had a leaking hardline to the slave cylinder because it was touching the power on the starter , and welded a hole..one day i shifted and the clutch pedal never came up (good thing i was 3 blocks from home)

but your problem seems like something is just not holding the pressure, and not that it's leaking out..

so check the slave and the slave master cylinder.

sbresani

5+ Year Member
yeah i though about bleeding it first, i hope there is air inside.... I havent had a leak from my car (my driveway is white so i would notice) so i hope its just the air... anyways thank bros...

99SiTR

5+ Year Member
could also be the slave master cylinder..

a while back i had a leaking hardline to the slave cylinder because it was touching the power on the starter , and welded a hole..one day i shifted and the clutch pedal never came up (good thing i was 3 blocks from home)

but your problem seems like something is just not holding the pressure, and not that it's leaking out..

so check the slave and the slave master cylinder.
True, just kept it out cause its the more expensive one lol. I figured it might have been just air if not i know the slave cylinder is more common to go out than the master cylinder. Good luck witht he fix hoped we've helped.

99SiTR

5+ Year Member
Na dont think so or else it wouldnt fix temporarly by pumping it. Try bleeding the line real quick it doesnt take too long. Also the tip of the slave cylinder that you turn to bleed it could possibly just be loose too and need to be tightened. Like pootie said your just not holding pressure which if bleeding doesnt fix might just be a cylinder

eskibz

5+ Year Member
i Just bought my 2000 civic si. and yesterday my clutch got the same problem.. only pumping it wont work at all.. im thinkin about replacing the slave cylinder but i want to try bleeding it first.. anyone know the procedure for bleeding the clutch in an si??? this is my first honda.. so im new to all of this.. thanks ahead of time.

SFBPI504

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had the same problem 2 weeks ago in my 2000 civic si and it was just my fluid was low in the master cylinder!

ekcivicdx

5+ Year Member
u need 2 people to bleed it(unless u have a bleeder kit)

1. top off clutch master cylindar with brake fluid.
2. have someone pump the clutch up
3. hold the clutch down
4. open the bleeder valve on the slave cylindar while the clutch is held down
5. close the bleeder valve
6. lift tthe clutch pedal up(prob wont come back up itself)
7. repeat steps 2-6 untill theres no air left in the system

while doing all this make sure the clutch master cylindar is full of fluid.

and that should work for you!! if it starts doing the same problem aggain then u must have a leak in the system somewhere, and like most people said, its usually the slave cylindar that goes first.

eskibz

5+ Year Member
ok thanks for the tip on the bleeding procedure.. ill try it out.... but where is the bleeder valve located at?