clutch questions

mattman3

got rice?
5+ Year Member
this morning i went to start my car and i had no pressure on the clutch... the car would start but i couldnt get it to engage enough to put it into gear...i talked to some friends and they said its probably the master or slave cylinders...anybody have an idea how much these parts would cost to have replaced?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you have any clutch fluid in?
try changing the slave cylinder and bleeding the system

mattman3

got rice?
5+ Year Member
but there is no pressure on the peddle at all...would the clutch fluid change that and make it engage?

steviezee47

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had a similar situation. I went to my car one day and the clutch pedal had very little pressure and it was a b***h to get into gear so i checked the clutch fluid and it was low. i refilled it and it was back to normal

WBJ

Registered VIP
DOT 3 brake fluid, found at any parts store.

The red outline is the clutch resivior.

If that is empty, fill it! If its full, your next step will be to look at the slave cyl. - you can try flushing the lines or replacing it. I did a quick search on Autozone's website and was quoted about $15 a Si slave cyl. - if you switch it out you will still need to flush the lines. It doesnt take a whole lot but you will need a friend inside the car to press on the clutch pedal.

The slave cyl. is located on the front of the transmission behind the radiator fan. I couldnt find a picture that would link to this post.

mattman3

got rice?
5+ Year Member
the resevoir isnt completetley full theres is a little at the bottom that mean it needs a replacement slave?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just fill the resivior with fluid, close the lid and pump the clutch a few time, check the fluid level again and add if needed, cap it again, start the car and try and put it in gear, if there is still an issue then start looking at your cylinders.. check slave first (front of the trans by the radiator), then master (on the floor behind the resivior/firewall)
http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=1992&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=CLUTCH+MASTER+CYLINDER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=Chassis&prdrefno=&quantity=0&act=&count=0&hidSwitch=Switch&hidIrno=|009

RonJ

Banned
A replacement clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder would cost about $70 or $20, respectively.

Check for a fluid leak above the clutch pedal or from the opposite side on the firewall or from the slave cylinder on the clutch housing. Replace any part that has a leak.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dude its probably just your fluid level is low. top it off and bleed air if necessary