clutch qustion swap help

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so i am trying to install my jdm d15b i just got in in my 99 ex coupe i remember i think i had a grind in 2nd depending if i was shifting fast or what not but it could've been me cuz it didnt do it when i drove slow. anyway i found this one

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SAC0/KF70203.oap?year=1999&make=Honda&model=Civic&vi=1355622&keyword=clutch&partType=01351&parentPartType=C0015

i dont do hardcore racing or consider myself a racer unless imon my sportbike which is modded for it i use this car for daily driving and alot of city driving to gym and work and what not. I've been reading that most ppl change clutchs just cuz the motor is out and i test drove my friends with a 6puck clutch and damn i hated his clutch what advice can you'll give

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It grinds in second? Isn't that a transmission issue and not a clutch issue?

Did you try changing the tranny fluid?

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like you have a weak synchro in second. I agree with changing the fluid, at the very least. If you can get a good used transmission for cheap, now would be the time to swap it, though. But, everytime I have access to the clutch, and the clutch has over 50,000 miles on it, I like to change the it. It's relavitely cheap insurance.

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im a little confused on clutch and transmission, no i hadnt changed the transmission fluid i forget that with a car its diff than my sportbike its mixed and car has individual fluids maybe that was it

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im a little confused on clutch and transmission, no i hadnt changed the transmission fluid i forget that with a car its diff than my sportbike its mixed and car has individual fluids maybe that was it
Yeah, always change the fluid first, because it's often the cause of problems and cheap to do. As Chucklee said, it is a good idea to change the clutch every once and a while, but it may not be necessary to remedy the issue.