Clutch riding + Coasting in neutral

RonJ

Banned
does this go for automatic cars as well? (i apologize if this is a n00b question)
Absolutely. You don't have to think much about it with an automatic transmission, however, because you should be leaving the transmission in D4 while driving. When stopped, however, I do tend to pop the transmission into neutral because I have the impression that less gas is used idling in neutral than in D4. The risk is that shifting from neutral to D4 can be a bit hard on the transmission.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you know how a starter works? Do you know how a push start works (when someone pushes your car to get your car to run)? They are somewhat relevant to how engine braking saves gas. I don't have a clutch switch on my car...so if I keep my car on first gear, and crank the starter, the car will move forward, since the starter is turning the engine, thus turning the transmission and the wheels.

In a sense, if your car is in MOTION. And your in gear... the motion of your car, the turning of the transmission, will turn the your engine, thus keeping it on. Which uses NO gas.
oka. this explains everything. NOW i fully understand. good way of putting it. i also found a link that was simple.

the concept i found hard to grasp was... how can an engine run without fuel? then i read this. and your comment.

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enfuelcut.html

thanks for clearing things up. definitely going to start driving this way instead of coasting in idle. :D

RonJ

Banned
It's a good sign that more are beginning to see the light. Changing the way you think is always difficult, but never be afraid to learn new things.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it was the wording. you cant just run up to someone and say. "no your car doesn't need fuel to run" until its broken down.

thanks for the tip. you always on your s**t.

mitka

5+ Year Member
Absolutely, it's magic that keeps a one-ton moving car in motion, not the well known force of physics commonly referred to as momentum.
technically it is inertia that keeps the car moving, not the "force of momentum". The only force that acts on moving car in this case is the force of friction that slows it down eventually.

RonJ

Banned
technically it is inertia that keeps the car moving, not the "force of momentum".
Actually the use of the term momentum is more appropriate because the car has both mass and velocity:

Excerpt below taken from here.
"Momentum, by definition, involves a body in motion, and can be defined as the tendency of a body in motion to continue moving at a constant velocity. Not only does momentum differ from inertia in that it relates exclusively to objects in motion, but the component of velocity in the formula for momentum makes it a vector—that is, a quantity that possesses both magnitude and direction. There is at least one factor that momentum very clearly has in common with inertia: mass, a measure of inertia indicating the resistance of an object to a change in its motion."

The only force that acts on moving car in this case is the force of friction that slows it down eventually.
I agree with this point.

C0mradeAlex

5+ Year Member
Leave it in gear. It is useful for when a red light changes color to green and it does save some gas. But this is defiantly not the sole reason manuals have better mpg. There are weight differences, torque converters, etc.

fwdpower

No traction though.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oka. this explains everything. NOW i fully understand. good way of putting it. i also found a link that was simple.

the concept i found hard to grasp was... how can an engine run without fuel? then i read this. and your comment.

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enfuelcut.html

thanks for clearing things up. definitely going to start driving this way instead of coasting in idle. :D
No problem. It was hard to explain from a different angle. But I'm glad you understood; personally, i thought my analogy sucked ass.

KStorms2009

5+ Year Member
i get all of that stuff about how it will stay in motion and no fuel but what i dont get is how you do this. so say you see a light turn red about a half a mile up the road. you let off the gass and you dont throw it in nuetral... and you dont start to downshift... instead you just leave your car in the gear that your in and only apply the brakes, untill your going about 10mph in 4rth gear and about to stall then u pop it back in N?

KStorms2009

5+ Year Member
[/QUOTE]

mine is the y7... mine idles close to 1k. so any speed ? its over 910...

yea im bein sarcastic... but confused lol

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
mine is the y7... mine idles close to 1k. so any speed ? its over 910...

yea im bein sarcastic... but confused lol
you should be idling under a grand, around 650rpm. you may have to adjust your alternator a bit

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
like i said, i believe you may need some adjustment to lower your idle.