Clutch =[

Pocket_eh

Ordering Civic HB Parts
5+ Year Member
Ok, so i was driving and i take it out of gear and i go to put it back in, pushing the clutch and all, it wouldnt go. so i rev it till it gets to where it'll "fall" in gear and i drive it home. it feels like there is still pressure in the pedal, but when i hold the pedal to the floor its like the clutch doesnt engage? could it be the slave cyl? it has been right at freezing and below freezing a few nights. thanks for any help i get. =]

Pocket

mattman3

got rice?
5+ Year Member
did you try draining the slave and then refilling it...check the slave resevior fluid level...you could be low on fluid

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ what he said, + bleed your clutch lines. try this first, if problems still persist then well go from there...

civicmand16y7

Registered VIP
^ what he said, + bleed your clutch lines. try this first, if problems still persist then well go from there...
thats what i was going to say. check the bleeder nut on you clutch to see if it didnt come lose. I had that same problem and I tighten it up bleed the clucth and has been fine ever since

Pocket_eh

Ordering Civic HB Parts
5+ Year Member
Bled lines. still not going into any gear. guess its new clutch time. =\ fml

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Bled lines. still not going into any gear. guess its new clutch time. =\ fml
Your clutch doesn't have anything to do with it going into gear. If your clutch was bad you wouldn't be driving, you would push on the gas and not go anywhere it would just rev... or it will go but it just burn the clutch because it is not engaging.... Or sound like a beginner driving a clutch burning the hell out of it and not going anywhere...

Above stated are all good suggestions.... So just to ask... When your car is off can you without using the clutch go through all the gears? If so when your car is on, what gears can you go into with the clutch in, if any gears at all?

Edit: Does it make a scraping or soft grinding noise when the car is idle? Could be throw out bearing... But not likely

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
um, if your clutch is not disengaging you won't be able to get it into gear...

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your clutch is what transfers the power from your engine to your trans to the wheels... It does not hold you from changing gears.... You can have a totally burnt clutch and shift through all the gears no problem....But if you have a good new clutch you will have to push the clutch in to shift without grinding or rev it to the rite rpm to "pop it in" to gear.... Your clutch does not control shifting gears it disconnects the power so you can shift but does not control it...

If a clutch is bad which is the OP question, then the car will either not move or it will just burn the clutch and barely go because it can't grab onto the flywheel....

Not being a jerk but you can put it in gear all day long with a burnt clutch.

Pocket_eh

Ordering Civic HB Parts
5+ Year Member
when at idle and i push the clutch in and try to put it into gear it makes a horrid grinding sound. i have been driving 5 speeds since i was 14, i am pretty sure i can drive them flawlessly. and if it was the slave cyl would it keep fluid from coming out of the bleeder valve? and yes while rolling you can rev it and "pop" it into gear.

what im saying is it has pressure in the pedal, not low on fluid. i beld the lines, still have pressure in the pedal, but still a horrid grinding sound when i try to put it into gear. sorry if any confusion. but once again any help is appreciated.

pocket

Pocket_eh

Ordering Civic HB Parts
5+ Year Member
If your clutch was bad you wouldn't be driving, you would push on the gas and not go anywhere it would just rev...
thats what is happening, its not driving. i had to push it off and "pop" it into second gear. and didnt stop or take it outta gear till i got it to where it is setting now.

sorry for double post.

Sifreak23

I just got done with training on honda trannys and what i'd do first is drain ur tranny fluid and refill with new HOnda MTF. IF stiil grinds then ur looking at a new synchro kit or hub/sleeve. But i would really change the fluid first and make sure it has the right amount of fluid, 'cause that would cause the grinding.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I really don't think that the trans is bad or even the fluid and I COULD be wrong... But the fact that you can't put into any gear tells me that your clutch is not disengaging, rather it is staying as if your foot was never on the clutch... This has got to be something from the clutch pedal to the transmission...

The reason I say this is because all the gears work, it is just getting them into gear that is the problem... IE the gears/Synchro's are fine.... But the master or something is not pushing the throw out bearing onto the pressure plate which is not releasing the clutch.... Again I could be wrong but I have been working on cars for YEARS and I learned clutches the HARD way lol so I have learned them INSIDE and out!

It is not the clutch, pressure plate, or trans... It is the master or a line... Possible air in the line?

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your clutch is what transfers the power from your engine to your trans to the wheels... It does not hold you from changing gears.... You can have a totally burnt clutch and shift through all the gears no problem....But if you have a good new clutch you will have to push the clutch in to shift without grinding or rev it to the rite rpm to "pop it in" to gear.... Your clutch does not control shifting gears it disconnects the power so you can shift but does not control it...

If a clutch is bad which is the OP question, then the car will either not move or it will just burn the clutch and barely go because it can't grab onto the flywheel....

Not being a jerk but you can put it in gear all day long with a burnt clutch.
I really don't think that the trans is bad or even the fluid and I COULD be wrong... But the fact that you can't put into any gear tells me that your clutch is not disengaging, rather it is staying as if your foot was never on the clutch... This has got to be something from the clutch pedal to the transmission...

The reason I say this is because all the gears work, it is just getting them into gear that is the problem... IE the gears/Synchro's are fine.... But the master or something is not pushing the throw out bearing onto the pressure plate which is not releasing the clutch.... Again I could be wrong but I have been working on cars for YEARS and I learned clutches the HARD way lol so I have learned them INSIDE and out!

It is not the clutch, pressure plate, or trans... It is the master or a line... Possible air in the line?
not tryin to be a d**k either but you just knocked what i said, an then went on to say the same thing that i said? kinda confused.
i know what a clutch does and i never said the clutch controls shifting. sure you can shift gears while in motion without a clutch but when stopped it is extremely difficult get it into 1st gear when the clutch is still engaged. if you do get it in 1st gear you will not be able to do so without grinding the s**t out of it.

to the OP, after checking your slave and master cyl try checking your clutch fork (lever that slave cylinder pushes on) it could be bent or broken. my bet goes to this

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I will admit I read that wrong and I apologize... I was reading it as clutch slipping vs not slipping causing it to not go into gear which doesn't cause that... So my bad dis-regard lol...

My detailed info was also for the OP not just trying to say s**t about what you said... I try to avoid slamming other peoples comments for that reason, I could be wrong lol

So with that aside OP I think we are all in agreement that it is a problem disengaging at the clutch due to the fork or bearing... Or back to the master/slave

Sifreak23

Ok so probably right on not being syncros/sleeves due to if they were bad, it would pop out of gear... but bad or low low oil in trans will cause gear grinding when shifting. Agreed with throwout bearing as well being the prob but not slave cylinder..

Pocket_eh

Ordering Civic HB Parts
5+ Year Member
ugh, im stumpped. when we bled the lines we did it like 10 times and it seemed like it was still getting air pockets in the line? wtf? but im not losing fluid anywhere.

IwantVtec

Registered VIP
open -> push down clutch->close->pull up clutch ->open->push down etc just had to do that a couple days ago don't worry that's all you should have to do.