coilover rebuild?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so to start out i own a 99 civic ex sedan, the coilovers are function and form type 2 with 60k+ miles, spring rates are 12kg front and 8kg rear. i emailed function and form about figuring out if my coilovers are blown out and they said that 1. an obvious oil leak from the strut should appear if not then 2. i would hear a clunk in the suspenion or 3. remove suspension and shake it if it rattles its no good

so number 1 i dont see any oil leaks from any of the struts, number 2 i have noticed some noise from at least one coilover but it sounds like a bound up spring popping loose kind of like a boing, i havent noticed it for a while now but these were on my 96 hx when i first noticed it alot, now on my 99 ex i have heard it a few times. number 3 i have not done yet but they told me that with 60k miles that most likely they are blown so this leads me to my question.

i know stock length struts with coil sleeves would benefit from extended top hats but would a shorter bodied strut like a coilover benefit from extended top hats? while looking for replacement parts i found that function and form now makes extended top hats for their eg/ek/dc and s2000 coilovers so im contemplating buying a set, two top hats and 2 brand new spring cost $150.

so to rebuild my function and form type 2 im looking at
1.4x $100 a piece for the struts
2.2x$150 a set of extended tophats and new springs
so it comes out to 700 plus shipping.do i need to run these or would i be better off just rebuilding for 400$ and call it good? im sure someone will tell me to change setups but i would prefer to stay full coilover vs koni/gc style unless i find something cheaper than 700$ for good quality.

my car is dumped as low as it goes on these coilovers (yes i know some people are against slammed cars) but i like how low it is and it rides almost perfect but i think a drop from 12kg 8kg to their ff type 1 spring rates at 10kg 6kg would help a bit with the quality of the daily ride.

here is a picture of someone else swapping to the extended top hats

and a picture of my car just for reference. no i will not raise the car and i understand i must lose some ride quality to be this low.