Coilovers (7th Gen)

ItsGiff

Low & Slow
Hey guys, I just picked up an 03 coupe and I'm wanting to get some coilovers for it...
Any suggestions on what kind to get? Seems to be a little hard finding them for this generation.

Looking to be slammed, ride smooth, not bouncy. in the 700-800 price range...
im looking at the D2's and Skunk2's... any feedback on these?

Thanks in advance for any help =)

FlipSkater079

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What do you want out of the coilovers? Do you need them to perform? Just want to be slammed? What kind of budget? etc..

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What do you want out of the coilovers? Do you need them to perform? Just want to be slammed? What kind of budget? etc..
Exactly

Knee Mo In Fo

badtrap

I just the megan 32 way coils on my 04 civic it is a pain in the butt to do but worth it. i love the megan coils i have mine set to a median soft/hard ratio front and back and it is a really comfortable ride and mine are slammed all theway.

ItsGiff

Low & Slow
Price range is around 700ish, maybe 800.
I want to be able to be really low and not very bouncy... not much performance needed out of them.

^ ^ ^ that doesnt look very low.... if they are fully slammed that wont be good enough for me lol

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Megan is junk. Don't be fooled by the stupid "32, 95, 127482 way adjustable" nonsense. It's just a stupid selling point made by companies to help make their product look more appealing. Technically my Konis could be 50(or w/e) way adjustable lol. And what the hell good is it if you don't know what it does. I'm sure you can't even tell the difference of one click, if there even truly is a difference lol.

I don't really know what's out there for 7th gens as I've never really researched them. All I know is the McPherson suspension sucks and you're limited by it. Koni and GC is always a great combo but you'll have to gut the strut to replace the cartridge and the GCs won't dump your car like it's broken...

ItsGiff

Low & Slow
Megan is junk. Don't be fooled by the stupid "32, 95, 127482 way adjustable" nonsense. It's just a stupid selling point made by companies to help make their product look more appealing. Technically my Konis could be 50(or w/e) way adjustable lol. And what the hell good is it if you don't know what it does. I'm sure you can't even tell the difference of one click, if there even truly is a difference lol.

I don't really know what's out there for 7th gens as I've never really researched them. All I know is the McPherson suspension sucks and you're limited by it. Koni and GC is always a great combo but you'll have to gut the strut to replace the cartridge and the GCs won't dump your car like it's broken...
yeah, now im looking at the skunk2 pro c OR C8 Sport SSD... Im not doing just a spring/shock combo

badtrap

mine still has a inch drop left on the spring and bout half a inch left on the coil it self. (wrong pic uploaded)
and 32 way adjustable means you can adjust the damping on the front to back. harder or softer ride/ resistance on your ride and coils it makes a night and day difference if you know what your doing. and a shock and spring combo a junk save up and get coils.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine still has a inch drop left on the spring and bout half a inch left on the coil it self. (wrong pic uploaded)
and 32 way adjustable means you can adjust the damping on the front to back. harder or softer ride/ resistance on your ride and coils it makes a night and day difference if you know what your doing. and a shock and spring combo a junk save up and get coils.
Adjustable shocks means you can adjust the dampening, yes, but 32 ways? What does that mean? Can you really notice the differnce in 1, 2, 5, or 10 clicks? Do you have shock dyno's to prove show the difference 1, 2, 5, or 10 clicks make? It's just a marketing scam. Like I said, I could say to someone my Koni's are 10, 30, 50, or w/e way adjustable if I really wanted since I can turn the knob and give every fraction of an inch turn some arbitrary meaning...

badtrap

http://www.amazon.com/Koni-30-1265SPORT-Yellow-Adjustable-Shocks/dp/B000ECIZZG
$123 for one strut?
So you want 4 than springs for like 200
So for around 700 bucks you could have a adjustable strut or a coilover set with camber. And do real racecars have strut and spring combos?
But in the end u still have ur "gay ass clicks" on ur koni's
Megan clicks are right to harden and left to soften hmmmmmm JIC, Apexi, and many other have clicks... that do the same thing JAWLS

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
32 way is bull its more like 3 soft medium and hard and you cant slam the 7th gen like you can the older hondas without some major work and the fact that our cars have a flat floor so the exhaust hangs alot lower. the best option for our cars in that price range is Progress Technology because the strut body is 30mm shorter so you ride lower but get good shock travel.

FlipSkater079

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Racelands are $300 and they go low. If you don't need coils for performance this could be an option? I plan on buying them in the spring.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
http://www.amazon.com/Koni-30-1265SPORT-Yellow-Adjustable-Shocks/dp/B000ECIZZG
$123 for one strut?
So you want 4 than springs for like 200
So for around 700 bucks you could have a adjustable strut or a coilover set with camber. And do real racecars have strut and spring combos?
But in the end u still have ur "gay ass clicks" on ur koni's
Megan clicks are right to harden and left to soften hmmmmmm JIC, Apexi, and many other have clicks... that do the same thing JAWLS
Racecars don't run non-adjustable suspensions because there are many variables to take into consideration(track, tires, weight, spring rates which track racers constantly change, sway bar sizes, etc etc). All these are adjusted, along with the suspension, for fine tunning. Just about all of those variables you wont find changing on a typical street car or if they do, would even matter since it's a street car...You could theoretically run a non adjustable susupension setup IF you ran the same track, same tires, same w/e AND knew exactly what springs you were using (height, rate, etc..) and had the shocks valves perfectly for all the conditions. Of course that's just too much time, work and money lol. Just because it's not adjustable doesn't mean it's crap.

Clicks, turns, spins, pulls, yanks, blah blah call it what you want, same thing. What I'm saying is there is no way to prove "30 way" adjustable suspension is inferior to a "40 way" adjustable suspension. Unless you have shock dynos to prove it and even then the spring rates and other factors still play an important role. Not to mention those numbers are just completely arbitrary... Feel like I'm beating a dead horse but I'll say it again, the numbers are a marketing scam. I'll admit when I was first looking at suspension products I fell for it lol. Luckily I did the research and stayed away from products/companies like that.

EDIT: To reinforce what I'm saying and to show some people who may have never seen shock dyno's and understand what I'm talking about...I'll show Buddy Club Racing Spec shocks which says they are 15 way adjustable vs the Koni Sport shocks which don't use some number in their advertisements to sell.

Here is Buddy Club

Notice how they only measure at 0, 5, 10, and 15 clicks...4 areas of measurement.

Here is Koni

Notice how they measure "max" and min" settings and the 3 inbetween, so 5 areas of measurement.

So, do all the clicks in the Buddy Club shocks really matter? Koni can get all the amount of fine tunning but they just don't say this and that many clicks. Hell Buddy Club could have said their shocks are 4-way adjustable but that doesn't really look good when competitors are saying their shocks are 20+ way adjustable... Selling point? I think so...

badtrap

ok all stupid ass graphs aside i had koni yellows with ground controls then i switched over to my megan. have you had both? or even coilovers in general if not then i dont think you have room to talk. first off so much eaiser to work with or the koni's. and did you know the strut and spring system is still a coil over system just with no pillow ball mount or chamber plates?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for dismissing the graphs which provide proof. But ok, aside from that stuff, no I've never owned anything Megan and for good reason. I've been an avid AutoXer for 5 years, 4 of which I've been using the Koni/GC setup. Started with Koni Sports with 450/550 rates for 2 years and took multiple championship titles from various clubs with them and they never failed me. 2 years ago I sent my Konis to True Choice to be rebuilt to my specs. After rebuilt, I've been AutoXing on them since with 650/800 spring rates. Again taking multiple championship titles and have never let me down. Oh yeah daily driven too(not comfortably might I add lol). This combo is easy to work with... And yes I know that by definition any suspension that has the spring(coil) surrounding the shock/strut is a coil over suspension, why is this relevant?

Look, I'm not here to prove anything to you or anyone. I'm just trying to inform people with what knowledge I have and HOPE that it helps people make a good decision. Thats kind of what the forums for. If you like your Megans and they work for you, by all means enjoy them. But there's a reason you never see their products used on serious race applications. I know tons of serious AutoXers and Road Racers that live by Koni/GC, as do I. Not because its popular but because its proven to be among the best(esp for the money). Just saying...

EDIT: Oh forgot to mention I had Koni's on my ACR Neon Rally car which took one hell of a beating and again, never let me down.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just the megan 32 way coils on my 04 civic it is a pain in the butt to do but worth it. i love the megan coils i have mine set to a median soft/hard ratio front and back and it is a really comfortable ride and mine are slammed all theway.
someone photoshop a rice patty hat on this car lol .