Coilovers, not so good, need recomendations.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I currently have jdm sport coil overs, they cost $40. Also attached to them are jdm sport strut bars, one in the engine bay, one in the trunk and one below the trunk (rear). The ride is hard and very uncomfortable at all times. My budget is $100 to $500. These coilovers tend to compress over time, and I have to re-adjust them and raise them higher every few months. One of them, rear/passenger side, is grinding off over time (The scale, the spring is grinding it). I dont know if I need cambers or what... I have 17" rims. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1997 Honda Civic Ex

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No you just need to buy quality products. With that budget you could purchase low end shocks and springs.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
You don't need cambers. You get what you pay for. I'm guess that since they only cost $40, they were coilover sleeves and not full coilovers. Which you probably put on stock shocks. This will lead to your shocks blowing, which accompanied with cheap springs, will lead to a harsh ride. $100-$500 will get you maybe some lowering springs and some performance shocks.

Here's a good idea for your car that is sort of within your budget.
Maybe a decent set of lowering springs like the Skunk2 Lowering Springs matched with the Skunk2 Shocks.

Aaron.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
first off, get some name brand stuff like tein or function form, then get some smaller wheels

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
2nrstv, thanks for your recommendation that fits my budget. My only question is will the 2.5" drop be enough to dramatically drop my vehicle?

This is a picture before the car was dropped. With the drop coilovers I have it drops all the way down and goes beyond the tire about 1/4"-1/2".

I am not sure how much of a drop it is with my coilovers. Not sure if it goes beyond 2.5"

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I found an after picture, this is how low I would like it to be.

It seems like buying used may be worn out, you do recommend buying used stuff?

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
I'm pretty sure it will sit just as low as the "after" pic, but I'm not certain. A 2.5" drop is actually a pretty big drop and it's also the lowest drop available from a name brand lowering spring.

Also, I wouldn't recommend buying used suspension parts.

CDubs

Registered VIP
if you dont mind going over ur budget to around $600 buy some Function and Form type 1 coilovers from meng motorsports, great product and its realativly inexpensive, take a look into those, im purchasing them next week so look for a write up of my experience if you want to wait that long

CDubs

Registered VIP
ordering next thursday so sometime in 2 weeks it wil be up, how to install, and first impresion rides followed by a review a few weeks later

1993civicDX

ordering next thursday so sometime in 2 weeks it wil be up, how to install, and first impresion rides followed by a review a few weeks later
i'm looking forward to this. 1 question though. is it possible to buy coilovers and put them on and still have stock rims/tires? wanting to get suspension done then get rims. -.-

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
I would NEVER buy used! Get Skunk 2, Form Function, or yonaka. all great products and can get all brand new under $700

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would NEVER buy used! Get Skunk 2, Form Function, or yonaka. all great products and can get all brand new under $700
You realize this thread is two years old right?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's funny. I bought my lowering springs used and have been running them for 3 years now with absolutely no problems. I am not saying that you can't get someone's used junk but I wouldn't count it out completely. You need to find out why they are selling and how long they have been on the car. A good thorough look over can go a long way.

So you are saying that you would buy some cheap pieces of crap just because they are "new" over a used set of Tein super streets (just an example) for the same price as the new "cheap" ones?

So going off your NEVER buying used quote...would that mean that you would NEVER buy a car that has coilover's all ready on it? Those would be used and the theory still applies. Just sayin'.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Buying used SPRINGS is generally fine. People who race trade, sell and buy used coilover springs ALLLLL the time. If it's just going on a street driven car, even less worries.

Buying used SHOCKS is very risky. Shocks can fail, leak, clunk, w/e.

SpdkilzEX

SpdkilzEX
to answer your comment no i would not buy a car that was already modified 1 you dont know how it was treated, 2 it takes the fun out of building a cars so IN THEORY i build my cars not buy them!

That's funny. I bought my lowering springs used and have been running them for 3 years now with absolutely no problems. I am not saying that you can't get someone's used junk but I wouldn't count it out completely. You need to find out why they are selling and how long they have been on the car. A good thorough look over can go a long way.

So you are saying that you would buy some cheap pieces of crap just because they are "new" over a used set of Tein super streets (just an example) for the same price as the new "cheap" ones?

So going off your NEVER buying used quote...would that mean that you would NEVER buy a car that has coilover's all ready on it? Those would be used and the theory still applies. Just sayin'.