Coilovers vs Sport Struts and lowering springs.

OhD16

Next week I have a choice to make. 4 Coilovers, or 4 strut/shock + springs. If i get coilovers I am not sure which brand I'll go with. If I choose not to get coilovers I'll be buying Skunk shock/struts with their lowering springs.

My question is for 500-600 bucks which would you go with? I drive my car 35 miles to an from work every day Monday through Saturday. On the highway, and some street driving. Lots of dips potholes and generally rough road. Right now I'm riding on Ksport coilovers an 1 is broken. Been a rough ride to work. I cringe at the sight of a dip in the road. Which ever way I go the car has to be a decently comfortable ride. I'd also like to keep its ride height ( picture below for comparison.)

I'd like some suggestion on coilover sets within my budget. The coilovers will have to offer a good ride on any road surface.

Thank you for all suggestions.

Image for comparison

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
IMO function and form cool overs. Adjustability and comfort.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Go with Function and Form type ones. They are on sale for $595 through JHPUSA

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got FnF Type 1's and they aren't too bad at all. I wish I would have saved up some more money to go with the Type 2's because the Type 1's don't have damper adjustment. But the Type 1's are still great coilovers.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If I had the choice between Skunk2 shocks/springs or coilovers, I'd go with coilovers. Skunk2 isn't anything to get excited about.

FnF type 1's are good if you want to lower plain and simple. They are not by any means a high performing coilover. But if you want something more comfortable and are not going to go too low, Progress CS-II's would be a better choice. They're cheaper, have a softer spring rate, can't go as low as FnF but from what I've read, they are overall a better coilover.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
If your budget is $500-$600 why not save for another week or to for koni/gc. I've seen them go for around $700-$900

Sent from my LG-E379 running ICSyndicate 2.0

OhD16

= go stock.

Also car looks like s*** who cars how high/low it is
Thank you for your input. But what it looks like on the outside has nothing to do with the rest of the car. :lol:

I'll look into the FnF Type 1s, and appreciate the other info given.

As for why I wont wait another week to buy something better, because the blown right rear strut in my K-Sport coilover is making the car dangerous to drive, and its my only vehicle at the moment.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're looking for a somewhat comfortable ride, the Skunk2 setup you're looking at probably wouldn't be the best.

Progress CS-2 would offer a great ride from a highly reputable company for a very reasonable price.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Progress CS-2 would offer a great ride from a highly reputable company for a very reasonable price.
this. no other option will give you what you want for what you want to spend. look into slightly used sets and save some cash there.

OhD16

If you're looking for a somewhat comfortable ride, the Skunk2 setup you're looking at probably wouldn't be the best.

I made my choice, and went with the Progress 350/250 daily driver springs. Hope to have them sometime in October when they aren't on back order

Thanks to those who gave positive feedback..

OhD16

Well I recieved the package today containing the whole CSII coil-overs setup, and I sadly had to email them about returning it because I lost my job Monday. So unless someone in the Columbus Ohio area wants to buy them for $600 it looks like they will be going back to Progress. It sucks cause I was really looking forward to getting them on the car.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
I thinks skunk2 cheaper, have a softer spring rate, can't go as low as FnF but from what I've read, they are overall a better coilover.
:twisted::evil:
The skunk2s suck. I have them on my car and can't wait tobl take them off. The springs are 2 soft. I bounce all over the place making an uncomfortable ride.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

TheEJ8

I got my Koni/Ground Control set up WITH Ground Control's extended top hats for right at about 900. If you save a little more you will not be disappointed

CJBankai

Well I recieved the package today containing the whole CSII coil-overs setup, and I sadly had to email them about returning it because I lost my job Monday. So unless someone in the Columbus Ohio area wants to buy them for $600 it looks like they will be going back to Progress. It sucks cause I was really looking forward to getting them on the car.

that sucks about the job man, ive had a lot of that myself this past year. hope you get it sorted quickly